Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Translation Help: Inside Flap of Nambu Holster

Hello All,

I recognize a few symbols, like the 4 cannonballs for the Tokyo Kokura Arsenal, but can someone translate the meaning of everything together for me? I've included photos with and without flash to try and maximize the contrasts. Thank you.

Regards,

Eric

IMG_3835_1.jpg IMG_3832_1.jpg

Closeups:

IMG_3839_1.jpg IMG_3843_1.jpg

Comment

The hand-written characters are a family name: Washio (鷲尾). The stamped characters to the right maybe indicate a size: Large, 53. Or 53rd Battalion? (大 being a common abbreviation for 大隊.)

Comment

May I ask what pistol the holster is for?

Comment

Originally posted by jangle View Post
          May I ask what pistol the holster is for?
          Certainly. If it helps in context; it is for a Baby Nambu. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
            The hand-written characters are a family name: Washio (鷲尾). The stamped characters to the right maybe indicate a size: Large, 53. Or 53rd Battalion? (大 being a common abbreviation for 大隊.)
            Thank you, IJ!

Comment

All do respect to imperialjapan for the translation of your holster. In this context, the kanji in the lower right side of holster flap is read "Taisho" 3 5, or May, 1914.
              I assumed this was a Papa or Baby Nambu holster. Is it a hardshell holster by any chance?

Comment

Oh, it's a date. I see. If so, wouldn't it be read from right? So Taisho 5 [1916] March?

Comment

Thank you, Jangle and IJ for helping narrow this down.

It is a hardshell. Here are a couple more pictures. I have since, very meticulously, removed the verdigris.

Comment

IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3831.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
                      Oh, it's a date. I see. If so, wouldn't it be read from right? So Taisho 5 [1916] March?
                      It's alway's been my understanding that the date is stamped (read left to right) year first then month.
                      An example is given in the wonderful book "Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945", by Derby/Brown pg. 90 as it lists a holster -Tokyo Arsenal symbol and Taisho date of 11-2. Which would be 1922, February.

dc9, your holster is a soft flap variant. My two soft flap holsters are both dated Taisho 8, and I'll try to include a photo of my hardshell, which is dated Taisho 2-2.

DSCF0082.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X