Japanese Sword with Ancestral blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword with Ancestral blade

Could some of you experts give me your valued opinion on this sword I have been offered. Told its WW2 mounts with an Ancestral blade.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Comment

I can only confirm the fittings are WWII. One of the nihonto guys will have to comment on the blade. I'm adding the oshigata picture to get it right-side up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thats great...thanks for that

Comment

Is there anyone that can comment on the blade?

Thanks
          Mike

Comment

Agreed the fittings are WW2....Has the section of the handle been shortened where the signature is?....If so, they were often shortened when placed into the military fittings....The habaki looks to be silver with rain pattern, which I believe is a good sign that it's an older blade.....I have one that has the same features, but also has a mon (family symbol) on the handle....Having said all this, I would say it looks to be an ancestral blade...Bodes
            Last edited by bodes; 08-04-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Definitely an older blade, it looks like it was buffed also which is too bad. It almost looks like it has a crab claw type of temper which is a bizen style. It is a type of choji midari (spelling) temper that people used to like a lot, I would have to see more to confirm the temper type. The 1644 time period would not surprise me from what little I do see.
              www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your appraisal. I know nothing about Japanese Swords.
                Bobl...do you remember you sold me a very nice WW2 Japanese NCO sword a couple coupla of years ago? A deal arranged by Stu W?

The guy wants £1200 for it...should I take his hand off at that price?

Thanks
                Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
                  Yes and Stu is a very nice guy too! On the sword, it is hard to say without holding it, there are subtle flaws that you need to really know how to spot that kill Japanese Swords. Drop me an email and I will try and help you more if I can.
                  If katana sized which it appears to be and has no flaws it sounds like a fair price.
                  Talk soon,
                  Bob

sigpic

Comment

Hello Mike, Bob and Bruce,

I've been absent for quite some time. It's nice to see you three are still here.

I agree that the tsuka, tsuba and seppa are WW2 vintage. They look good. The habaki is definitely an upgrade from the standard WW2 version and often found with an older blade.

The blade does look like it's got some age to it. Before I could offer any opinion as to value or fair price I'd want to see pictures of the full nakago and know the length of the cutting edge. While it's not at all unusual for a saya to be longer than the blade these pictures, to my eyes, make me question if the blade is indeed katana length. I'd also like to see better photos of the entire blade.

Mike, as I'm sure you know, with a nihonto the devil (and value) is in the details. A fatal flaw can change the value of a $5000 sword to $500. A bend or twist in the blade can also greatly reduce the value. I'd also want to know more about those possible concerns before giving this sword a passing grade.

Last but not least I'll ask you to consider just what it is you wish to collect. What is your focus? Where are you going with your collection? I say that as much for you as others who might be new to Japanese swords. Years ago when I started I collected anything that would cut butter. Eventually I narrowed my focus to Type 95 and Yasukunito. Had I focused on them to begin with I'd probably have saved time and money.

I close off for the moment with the advice that you should never rush a purchase. There will always be other swords coming along. While I have nothing negative to say about this one I just want you to make sure it fits your focus. If not then pass it by.

Regards to you all,
                    Stu

Comment

Left handed kaneyasu
                      may we see more photos of the blade?
                      i have a waki by this Smith

Comment

Gee, maybe you should talk to Nick, if he has a Wak maybe they should be reunited. I am sure, if he is interested, he would make a fair trade or buy it.
                        Bob

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X