Japanese sword info .who used me .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese sword info .who used me .

Hey guys I got this sword .not stingray or sharkskin .but a skin on handle .and I need the Tang translated .I've been told not nco .not navy .then who used and made this blade ????
    Attached Files

Can anyone translate the Tang .this sword was brought back by a vet who loves it but passed away so family who didnt care left it to rot hence why the scabbard is in rough shape

Comment

Daniel,
      It's dated March 1943, but someone else will have to give you the smith name.

It's a Japanese Army Officer sword (gunto) made under Contingency orders and not a "Type" like the others. Collectors call them "Type 3" or "'44 Model" but there was no official name for it. It's a Contingency Model, or Rinji-seishiki in Japanese, and designed in 1938, but didn't hit the streets until 1940. Almost all found today are in the '43-'45 date range. They were supposed to be cheaper (80 Yen compared to standard gunto at 120 yen) and more rugged than the standard Type 94/98. Any officer could use this style. You'll find cheap blades to expensive custom blades in the style, so quite a range.

Could you give us a picture of the little stamp close to the handguard?

Comment

Bruce p .where would this stamp be located your talking about

Comment

Only stamp I can find is a star
          Attached Files

Comment

Daniel -
            What is the condition of the blade? ...it appears to be in decent shape but your photo isn't that clear of an angle. In the other thread, I believe it was you who said you paid 600.00 for this sword (?) - If that is correct and this star stamped blade is in decent shape, I offer that you did quite well with your investment (in my opinion), as these swords have a neat little history to them!
            I am unable to translate signature, but if nobody responds here, you can take over to the Nihonto forum under the military section and post (Bruce and I reside over there as well). Regards, Dan

Comment

Blade is in great shape and yes I paid ,
              600 for the sword .thanks for the info

Comment

Where's Guy when you need him?!?!

The star indicates the blade was made by an RJT (Rikugun Jumei Tosho) swordsmith. These smiths had to apply to the Army and pass rigorous tests to qualify for the title. RJT smiths were supplied the critical tamahagane (Japanese steel) and coal to make traditionally made blades. So your blade is likely a nice piece of work. I thought this might be the case when I saw your saya (scabbard) was made of wood. RJT blades were usually found in higher quality fittings of the Rinji-seishike style with 2 release buttons (one on the handle, one on the scabbard).

I'm REALLY BAD at the smith names, but this coule be Tsugumasa. I'm fairly certain about the Tsugu, but not confident about the masa. There were 6 "Tsugu" RJT names I could find: Tsuguhiro, Tsugukiyo, Tsugunobu, Tsugumasa, Tsuguiye, and Tsuguyoshi. I can't tell for sure which one is yours.

Comment

Ok, the guys at NMB say it's "Tsugunobu"

here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...-an-rjt-blade/

Comment

Yes the one down side of this sword is the release is gone .removed a long time ago for some reason .I wish I could find a replacement but it would not be original

Comment

You can find chuso for sale occasionally. As long as it's WWII equipment, I don't know anyone that would be bothered by a replacement. I only have one extra, but its tip is broken off. I can mail it to you, if you like. If it fits, it would still look better having the button in place. PM if you'd like to try it. No charge. Just helping out a fellow collector.

Comment

Yes. Bruce that would be great thank you

Comment

The handle wrap is actually made from a burlap/cloth wrap that's been painted. I have a Type 3 star stamped sword with the same mounts. These Type 3 swords were made with two different quality mounts, this style, which appears to be more crude / lower quality, and another which has a silk Ito / handle wrapping and painted metal scabbard, often green,unlike these black stippled wood scabbards. I recall reading that most often nice blades are found in the lower quality mounts, more value in the blade and less in the mounts, to meet the established price point by the maker. You have a special blade. search the internet for "star stamped gendaito".
                          PG-

Comment

Thanks guys this is all very I interesting

Comment

継延
                              Tsugunobu

From Markus Sesko's book:
                              KANEHARU (兼春), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gunma → TSUGUNOBU (継延), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989)

.... my government computer crashed last week and I've been waiting for a loaner until my new one arrives.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X