Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Army Sword

Hi all,

looking at this sword it looks like it’s in Army mounts but the scabbard has two hanging rings which I thought was associated with navy swords? Strange one to me. Any input would be really helpful.

thanks everyone
    Attached Files

There were shingunto model swords with removable scabbard mounts, also if you have access to sword compare length of blade to length of scabbard as blade looks a bit short, might be photo

Comment

Type 94, Japanese officer gunto. The "shingunto" or "new Army sword" was officially ordered by the Emperor in 1934, and it had 2 ashi (hanger loops), the lower one being removeable. In 1938, the single looped version was commissioned, called the Type 98. So yours was likely made between 1934 and 1938.

You can see pictures of the 94 here: http://ohmura-study.net/931.html

Comment

Great info! Thanks everyone.

Comment

Any chance of you removing the handle to see if it is signed by the smith? Military swords are of no great value (relative to the true Japanese Sword "Nippon-Tou"), but it's fun knowing who made the sword.

Comment

In my experience, those early style mounts have a pretty good chance of having a good quality blade. Worth checking.

Steve

Comment

Yasukunito can sometimes be found in Type 34 mounts.

http://www.jp-sword.com/files/yasukuni/yasukunito.html

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Although this has two suspension rings, the saya is the later wooden type. Generally these contain low-grade showato. The Type 94s I’ve seen all had pierced tsubas with a push button.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X