Sayagaki Translation Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sayagaki Translation Anyone?

Can any of our Japanese translators figure out what this sayagaki says?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

I'll take a look later. It is identified as a kogatana (the blade) with the smith's name. It lists the polisher's name as well as a Showa-era date using the zoological calendar. I'm busy right now, but will take a look when free time hits me.

Heck ... I found the smith easily:

TOMONARI (朝也), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Hyōgo – “Shihōsai Tomonari” (四方斎朝也), “Tomonari” (朝也), real name Endō Ayasa (遠藤朝也), born July 25th 1901, he studied under his grandfather Miyano Heijirō Yoshisada (宮野平次郎義定) who worked for the forge of the Minatogawa Shrine (湊川神社), from 1941 he studied under Kurihara Akihide (栗原昭秀) and worked during World War II for the Swordsmith Association of Hyōgo Prefecture, kihin no retsu (Akihide), Second Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

I'll get back later about the polisher.

-- Guy

Comment

Guy, that's very quick and very good work... thank you kindly. I ook forward to learning whatever you are able to provide.

Comment

Hello,
        This small sword was polished in February of 61th year of Showa.
        Because it is written in the sheath as such.

In Japanese, 昭和丙寅歳二月研磨 means "polished in February of Showa 61". Showa 61 is 1986.

And this small sword was made in 1985.

In Japanese, 昭和乙丑歳八月鍛 means "this small sword was made in Showa60". Showa 60 is 1985.

Comment

Thank you for your help and for outlining that information the way you did.

Comment

And here is the swordsmith.

EDIT: Since Rabbit Indy points out the blade was made in S.60, this might not be the smith I mentioned (who is listed in Markus Sesko's "Swordsmiths of Japan"); I cannot find a post-war 四方斎朝也 who was making blades in 1985. Since I'm no expert, perhaps some of our other members might be able to shine some light on your swordsmith.

[edit note: changed "cannot" to "might not"]
            Attached Files

Comment

Do we know when or at what age he died?

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                Do we know when or at what age he died?
                I don't know. He was born in July 25th 1901, so he could conceiveably have made it at the age of 84 .... if he lived that long. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Comment

If he made it you would think that given his age at the time it might possibly be one of his last works.

Very interesting.

Comment

Just saw the updated edit.

Fingers crossed indeed!

Comment

Please see following URL.
                      https://translate.google.co.jp/trans...nokokaji3.html

Asaya Shikatasai(四方斎朝也) is another name of Second generation Tetsunosuke Miyano.
                      He was born in 1901 and died in 1996.

yoshiyuki

Comment

Thank you Yoshiyuki.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X