WW2 NCO Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 NCO Sword

Here we have a WW2 NCO sword for review with leather holster. I’m not too familiar with the leather scabbards. Do leather scabbard decrease the value? The selling is asking for $500 US. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That's a Type 98 Officer sword in combat saya. The leather cover is nice to have as they tended to get damaged or lost by the time the G.I.s got them home. As you can see, the end of this one must have been damaged enough that someone sliced it off.

By the pics you've posted, $500 is a fair price. You should get pics of the nakago (tang) with the handle off. It's likely to be signed. Some swordsmiths work bring a higher value that others, and that might be good to know.

Comment

Thanks for your help! The owner is scared to take the handle off. Should I be worried that I could break it if I take the handle off?

Comment

I would jump on it for 500. Good luck and you should be able to get the tang without much trouble.

Comment

It's real easy with these, you simply push the wooden peg out from one side to the other. If the handle still feels stuck, it's just age. Grabbing the handguard on both sides, you can rock it side to side and leverage the handle loose. Quite common, and harms nothing.

I agree with Hatley, though, for that price I'd buy it and take my time exploring the smith. Might get lucky.

Comment

Awesome thank you guys so much! I will post some pictures once I get some.

Comment

Here are the signature markings. Could someone please confirm the maker and rarity? Thanks guys!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hard to read, but it looks like Kanemitsu to me:

兼光
                    Kanemitsu

Markus Sesko lists FIVE smiths from the Showa era whose art-name was 兼光. I have no idea which one is yours:

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), real name Yamada Kinjirō (山田金二郎), born May 1st 1877, he studied under Kosaka Kaneyoshi (小坂兼吉) and died October 13th 1935.

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), real name Gotō Shōzō (後藤松蔵), student of Kanenaga (兼永), born July 20th 1887, he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died on March 18th 1957, jōkō no retsu (Akihide).

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), real name Ogawa Mitsuo (小川光雄), born January 20th 1922, he worked as a guntō smith and fell in World War II on July 8th 1944, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide).

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Aichi – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), family name Takeuchi (竹内), he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō.

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Hakodate – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), family name Nish¡tani (西谷), jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Fourth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941).

-- Guy

Comment

Thank you so much! Are these 5 makers pretty common? Do you still think the sword is worth picking up for $600?

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                        Hard to read, but it looks like Kanemitsu to me:

兼光
                        Kanemitsu

Markus Sesko lists FIVE smiths from the Showa era whose art-name was 兼光. I have no idea which one is yours:

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), real name Yamada Kinjirō (山田金二郎), born May 1st 1877, he studied under Kosaka Kaneyoshi (小坂兼吉) and died October 13th 1935.

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), real name Gotō Shōzō (後藤松蔵), student of Kanenaga (兼永), born July 20th 1887, he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died on March 18th 1957, jōkō no retsu (Akihide).

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), real name Ogawa Mitsuo (小川光雄), born January 20th 1922, he worked as a guntō smith and fell in World War II on July 8th 1944, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide).

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Aichi – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), family name Takeuchi (竹内), he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō.

KANEMITSU (兼光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Hakodate – “Kanemitsu” (兼光), family name Ni****ani (西谷), jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Fourth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941).

-- Guy
                        Guy, doesn't it seem peculiar that ALL 5 of these guys were born and died in the same years?

Comment

Interesting... wow you guys know you stuff! Very blessed to have your help!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post

Guy, doesn't it seem peculiar that ALL 5 of these guys were born and died in the same years?
                            Sheesh Bruce .... you definitely need another cup of coffee!!

Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989)
                            Those are the era years!!!

Read each entry and it will tell you when each smith died! (^__*) winky-wink!

Comment

If you do not want it for 600 let me know where it is and I will buy it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X