No announcement yet.

Japanese Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been told that when they have a ring around the meatball then its likely s Seabee or Marine made souvenir made by holding fabric over military issue bucket and painting. That and lack of corner ties and reinforcement would make it a no go for me

Comment

I posted this yesterday but there continues to be problems with the platform -- I get a lot of "time outs".

Consequently, I agree with Steve -- I agreed before he agreed!! (^__^)
      ======
      Nothing wrong with the calligraphy, it's very nice! BUT .... the fact that it has a painted rising sun and there are no ties (so it's not a flag), give me some pause. It is signed multiple times by two families, the "flag" is dedicated to Sumizawa.

武運長久
      Bu'un Chōkyū
      Continued luck in the fortunes of war
      order: top right, bottom right, top left, bottom left

Dedicated to:
      住澤 次君
      Sumisawa ?-ji kun

Surnames:
      大竹 Ōtake (7)
      宗村 Munemura (6)

-- Guy

Comment

It's not a CB special, in spite of the hand traced and painted hinomaru. Quite a few flags were made at home; some had corner tabs sewn on them and strings attached in order to make them look like a "real" flag, while others lacked that addition. The "flag" might be good but like any example that lack a diversity of signatures, it's difficult to say.
        MikeB

Comment

Thank you guys for your help
          adding more pictures of the flag corners only two was sewing
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm glad that you took additional images. You can see the corner tabs that were made for two of the corners. You can also see the holes where tie strings were once located. Very cool and quite similar to others that I have seen over the years.
            MikeB

Comment

A repeat of info about same flag in a separate post:
              The fact that the same hand signed multiple names gives me pause. The 大竹 names seem to be the same person, as are the 宗村 names. Generally speaking, the individual would sign his/her own name.

This is not a CEEBEE special, but let's not forget there are many Japanese people who also can see an opportunity to make a profit.
              In my opinion, this is not a legit signed flag. It may be a flag from that time period, but why in the world would one person write 9 different names? and another hand write 4 different names?

No matter where the actual flag originated from, the inscriptions are far too suspicious.

Comment

That's a good point; I refer you back to the entire post in item #4 where that is alluded..........

MIkeB

Comment

I understood your implication, MikeB. Just thought a more explicit statement doubting the flag's authenticity was needed. Maybe not; perhaps I was just being redundant. If so, sorry.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X