The 3 bombs Japanese statue and medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 3 bombs Japanese statue and medal

Recently I got an email from a Korean War vet who was selling off his collection due to health issues.

This was a piece of that collection that I thought was an interesting piece.

i believe it’s called the 3 bombs, 3 Japanese soldiers with a Bangalore broke through the Chinese barbed wire lines and set the explosive off opening a gap for the Japanese army to pass through. A statue was resurrected for the brave 3 soldiers who blew themselves up in 1937.

the official bronze statue was taken down in 1945 after the fall of Japan.

These statues where apparently sold in the shrine In 1937 along with the medal.

I can’t find another ! And information on the statue is minimal

has anyone seen these before , also what does the medal say

statue is made of a strange biscuit like material and is old

TIA

Attached Files

The item comes with the letter from the previous owner also when it was purchased for the 2nd time in 2003
    Attached Files

Comment

That is an interesting take on those guys. Is there any kanji on the bottom of the base?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
        That is an interesting take on those guys. Is there any kanji on the bottom of the base?

Tom

Hi Tom

none I could see, just the kanji on the medal. I wonder if someone could read it for me.

Comment

I also cannot find another anywhere !

Comment

Also to correct the title it’s “3 human bullets”

also this is the shrine where they where gifted in 1937 as per the hand written letter

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cont...asukuni_Shrine

Comment

There are some available at YahooAuctions, various models. Here is one:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d409157779

Tom

Comment

I've seen many of these statues over the years. Never saw one with wire. Perhaps added?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
                  There are some available at YahooAuctions, various models. Here is one:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d409157779

Tom
                  Thanks for the post

what sort of price do they go for ?
                  just pulled the page on that one, looks recently cast where as mine shows lots of age.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                    I've seen many of these statues over the years. Never saw one with wire. Perhaps added?

Jareth what do they normally go for, have you seen the medal before ? This one was purchased in 2003 18 years ago so not a modern one, also the wire is old so not sure

yours
                    Dean

Comment

Sorry. No idea as to value. Never seen that medal before.

Comment

Old auctions have examples going for between $20 and $70.

Tom

Comment

The badge is a candy company giveaway. 'Scout. Candy for health and physical development.'
                          Scout is probably the name of the company or maybe the brand of candy.

Comment

There were many commemorative items made using these soldiers. A very popular trend with cards, songs, toys, magazines, etc being made with their patriotic story. Hard to put a price on these statues, TBH. They are plentiful, but they exist in many variants. Tom is probably right about the price range.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X