Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJA Helmet

Aloha All,
    Like to share my Helmet with the commonly found cut chinstraps. Would like your opinions if the repair done on the long strap was period done and if the liner's top adjusting string is original?

Mahalo,
    Rodney

20200628_092052-1-1.jpg 2020-06-29 04.57.32.jpg
    2020-06-30 17.11.50.jpg
    Attached Files

Liner: 20200628_091502-1-1.jpg

Comment

It's a leap of faith. You will never know for sure when repair was done. If helmet was offered to you then price should reflect the possibility it was postwar done. Tie string looks period correct

Comment

I have seen quite a few navy Type-90 helmets with apparent field repairs to the tie strings made with similar black thread.

MikeB

Comment

Mahalo Jareth and MikeB,

Appreciate your help with the top adjusting string and chinstrap repair. A field repair sounds right as both pieces have the same wear and feel but would never know for sure. Mike, did the Army repair damaged chinstraps in the same manner as the Navy? The other thing I forgot to mention, the front pad is missing and has a clear date stamped under the liner Showa 16 (1941).

Aloha,

Rodney

Comment

Here are close ups of the sewn repair done to the chinstrap and date stamp under front liner...
            20200701_123009-1.jpg 20200701_123038-1.jpg 20200701_122923.jpg

Comment

Hi Rodney-
              The close-up of the black threaded repair (and the white one too) appear to be machine sewn; can you confirm? I have to admit that those that I have seen are rather crudely done by hand, a la the "field repaired" by hand title. I have seen similar repairs done on army examples but many more on navy, primarily with black thread. Perhaps Jareth could respond as to whether he has seen machine made repairs. My guess is that depending upon where the soldier was stationed, he may have had access to a machine for repair. Helmets were regularly reissued too and were not only repaired in the most out of the way Pacific islands. Some may have been fixed in a more standard manner. Just a guess....

MikeB

Comment

Aloha MikeB,
                I’m 99.9% sure it’s machine sewn as the space between looks evenly spaced. My wife explained that sewing machine has a needle & bobbin pin (bottom thread). German reconditioned their helmets too, repainted, newly added decal (or painted around), new liner and chinstraps and being this helmet is dated 1941 (mid-war), I’m hoping it has a chance of being one of those that was reissued.

Mahalo again MikeB for your help!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X