What is the kanji on this flag it looked ink stamped image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Comment

木浦女子公立商業実修学校
      Mokpo Women's Public Commercial Training School

Mokpo, Japan-occupied Korea

-- Guy

Comment

Thank you Guy .That really is quite interesting I will have to research what the training school did .Thank you for that

Comment

Funnily enough (right), the Japanese wiki does not mention the schools in Korea. There is a page about the commercial schools; in part it gives examples:
          Ministry of Finance, Banking Bureau (1874, later 1877 Banking Training School, 1879 Bookkeeping Training School, 1882 Banking Bureau Banking Training School; transferred from 1886 to the Ministry of Education Tokyo Commercial School (later Hitotsubashi University) attached bank specialization course, attached main accounting specialization course, from 1887 to 1893 higher commerce school (later Hitotsubashi University) attached specialization acquisition major, same school attached specialization school.
          Komatsu Cram School (1875, later Hitotsubashi University)
          Kobe Commercial School (1878, later Hyogo Prefectural Kobe Commercial High School)
          Osaka Commercial School (1880, later Osaka City University)
          Yokohama Business Law School (1882, later Yokohama City University Faculty of Commerce)
          Only one link lead to a girl's commercial school: 仙台女子商業高等学校 Sendai Women's Commercial High School. I suppose the Mokpo school would have taught similar subjects and have a similar write-up as the Sendai school:
          Sendai Women's Commercial High School is a municipal high school located at 7 Kunimigaoka, Aoba-ku, Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture. It was a girls' school. It was called "Senjosho" or "Women's merchant"

History
          April 1, 1944-Sendai Women's Commercial School (partially daytime high school two-year capacity 400 people, two-part night high school three-year system capacity 450 people) was established and Sendai City Gohashi High School Womens School (introduced to Kita Gochome High School for Girls in Sendai City) and Showa Senior High School..
          Remember, high schools then were schools of higer education; not what we in the USA consider "high school." From what I recall reading, going to a "high school" was similar to college prep.

-- Guy

Comment

Isn't that amazing that flag has made its way from Japanese held Korea to my collection in Scotland

Comment

Guy,
              Any luck if the first Kanji is this one?

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                Guy,
                Any luck if the first Kanji is this one?
                Hi Mr. Chen!
                I don't think so, that first kanji is definitely 4-strokes whereas is 5-strokes. See the color-enhanced image below -- definitely 4 strokes.

-- Guy
                Attached Files

Comment

Guy,
                  Something going on at 1.
                  I think there should be nothing (ie, that little upward stroke) at 2 if your prediction of that Kanji is correctd.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Guy,
                    If you can find that school, you probably be corrected.

Comment

Hi Mr. Chen,

In Japanese, 禾 is a radical only and does not stand alone, so I used the kanji 私 to compare against 木 shown below.
                      Stroke #1 in 禾is angled and very pronounced.
                      Stroke #1 in 木 is the horizontal line.
                      Stroke #2 in 木 is the vertical stroke; when using a brush, it is given a small "head" that you have circled.

So, I still maintain the name of the school is the same as the village in Korea: 木浦 Mokpo.

Cheers,
                      -- Guy
                      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

better pictures guys
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yup, post #3:
                            木浦女子公立商業実修学校
                            Mokpo Women's Public Commercial Training School

-- Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X