Sword Mei translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword Mei translation

Bought this waki along with two ww2 German swords and a percussion buggy rifle at a boot fair this morning
    will post photos when I get home
    but I am eager to get the mei translated please could someone tell me the smith

The sword

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sorry having problems with the new forum

Comment

武州住照廣作
            Bushū jū Teruhiro saku
            Made by Teruhiro of Bushū

Bushū Province: aka Musashi Province (武蔵国, Musashi no kuni) was a province of Japan, which today comprises Tokyo Metropolis, most of Saitama Prefecture and part of Kanagawa Prefecture.[1] It was sometimes called Bushū (武州). The province encompassed Kawasaki and Yokohama. Musashi bordered on Kai, Kōzuke, Sagami, Shimōsa, and Shimotsuke Provinces.

is the simplified way of writing . There are three Teruhiro smiths listed in Marcus Sesko's Swordsmiths of Japan:
            I have no idea of which smith. Does your blade have a date on the other side of the signature?
            TERUHIRO (照広), Tenshō (天正, 1573-1592), Musashi – “Bushū Sh¡tahara-jū Teruhiro” (武州下原住照広), real name Yamamoto Sōjirō (山本宗治郎), his first name is also listed with the characters (惣二郎), second son of the 1st gen. Terushige (照重)

TERUHIRO (照広), Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Musashi – “Bushū Sh¡tahara-jū Teruhiro” (武州下原住照広), Sh¡tahara school

TERUHIRO (照広), Enpō (延宝, 1673-1681), Settsu – “Tsuda Echizen no Kami Teruhiro” (津田越前守照広), younger brother of Tsuda Sukehiro (助広), suguha, he too focused on an ō-gunome-midare, chūjō-saku

-- Guy

Comment

Thanks guy
              no date but it’s a Shinto blade I guess mid 17th century gunome hamon

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                Thanks guy
                no date but it’s a Shinto blade I guess mid 17th century gunome hamon
                So, that would be the middle Teruhiro?
                • TERUHIRO (照広), Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Musashi – “Bushū Sh¡tahara-jū Teruhiro” (武州下原住照広), Sh¡tahara school

Comment

I cannot find examples of his mei
                  the nakago has an unusual shape

Comment

I'm looking around. Did find that 下原 Sh¡tahara can also be read as Shimohara. Same kanji.

Comment

"...wide body, elongated kissaki..."

TERUSHIGE(1) EI-ROKU (f: CHIKASHIGE 1): YAMAMOTO GENJIRO. First named YAMAMOTO UKON CHIKASHIGE, he was granted HOJO UJITERU's TERU. Wide body with elongated KISSAKI. Standing JORIN MOKUME (ring-shaped UZU). Tightly held NIOI outlines GUNOME-MIDARE with profuse MURA-NIE. MEI: BUSHU JU CHIKASHIGE BUSHU JU TERUSHIGE BUSHU JU TERUSHIGE SAKU

TERUSHIGE(2) KEI-CHO (br: YASUSHIGE): YAMAMOTO GENZAEMON or SHICHIROUEMON. In the style of the 1st, SUGU KO-MIDARE, GUNOME-MIDARE. NIOI FUKASHI (deep). Considered SHINTO. MEI: BUSHU JU TERUSHIGE SAKU BUSHU SHIMOHARA JU TERUSHIGE SAKU

TERUHIRO TEN-SHO (f:TERUSHIGE 1): Second son. YAMAMOTO SOJIRO. In the style of the 1st.JORIN no MOKU. GUNOME-MIDARE in MURA-NIE. MEI: BUSHU SHIMOHARA JU TERUHIRO

Source

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                        I cannot find examples of his mei
                        the nakago has an unusual shape
                        鱮腹 tanago-bara "Fish belly" [actually "minnow belly"]

-- Guy

Comment

Thanks guy
                          it has an o-kissaki

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X