Japanese Army General's Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Army General's Sword

Bought a very nice Japanese Army Officer's General grade Kyu-gunto over the week end. The distinguishing feature of this sword is the tortoise shell grip, which is carved from one single piece of tortoise. Hand forged blade, 26", unsigned. You can see photos at this link.
    http://hee5.homestead.com/kyugunto.html

Herm Engelhardt

generals sword

Looks like parachute cord attached. I know that fuller says that tortise shell makes it a generals sword but I am always leary of such conclusions unless it comes from Japanes manuals. I have had the parade sabers with tortise shell handles and they are pretty non-descipt except the tortise shell is pretty. Nice looking piece and if I had it, I would sure call it a generals sword.

Comment

General's Sword

I showed the scans of this sword to Jim Dawson, author of the book, "Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945" and he stated: "Great sword, one hundred percent
      general grade sword which added the tortoise shell grip to the field grade design."

Unlike the Kyu-gunto style, the only distingushing feature of a general grade sword in the later 1934 shin-gunto design is a yellow, brown and red tassel which is not an integral part of the sword and could easily be removed or added. Once a tassel has been removed, there is no rank distinction between a company, field or general grade Army officer's sword.

On the other hand, a kyu-gunto sword has design features that signify rank differences, partly decorated backstrap for company grade, nearly fully decorated for field grade and the same backstrap as field grade with tortoise grip for general grade.
      Herm

Comment

Generals sword

Presently a dress saber with tortoise shell handle on e-bay if any opne cares to look. I have had several of these over the years.

Comment

Hey Herm,

First off.... I would like to say that you have a really nice sword..... and if it is ever in need of a new home.... please let me know

Ok.. no that the sales pitch was made... I have a question for everyone.....As in my ignorance with Japanese swords...

It is my understanding that there are 3 styles/patterns of Jap officer's swords.... This style that Herm has posted, the other parade style (sorry.. I don't know the pattern name) and then the Samuri sword....

My question is.... what designated the different wearing of the different style swords.... I.e. Which was for Parade dress... which for service dress etc ??

Also.... would it be normal for an officer to own all three patterns ?

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments Mark. Since no one else has responded to your question, I'll give it a shot.

Basically, with respect to Japanese military swords, the parade sword was intended for dress and formal occasions. They had a thin, mass produced, untempered, chrome plated blade that usually had an acid-etched temper line. Parade swords were not suited or carried for combat conditions.

The kyo-gunto was the early (cira 1890) style Japanese military sword used during the Sino and Russo-Japanese Wars. The style was patterned after the Western influence having a "D" guard. They were generally fitted with tempered, hand forged or ancestral blades. These were carried on all occasions by Japanese officers and unlike the parade sword, was well suited for and used in combat. The kyo-gunto was used by some officers up to and to the end of WWII even though the new style, shin-gunto, was adopted in 1934. The shin-gunto style is based on a traditional Japanese tachi rather than the Western style with the "D" handle.

Herm

Comment

Japanese General's Sword

Since the link to the web site no longer has the photos, I'm putting them on the as attachments for future reference.
              Attached Files

Comment

General's Sword

Sword
                Attached Files

Comment

General's Sword

Handle
                  Attached Files

Comment

General's Sword

Blade
                    Attached Files

Comment

General's Sword

More...
                      Attached Files

Comment

General's Sword

last
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X