OK what is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK what is this?

So what is it? I picked it up at the Alameda Point Antique Faire and flea Market on Sunday but can't remember what it is. It looks like the writing on the back is Japanese though.
    Attached Files

Here is the back

Originally posted by Gary Cain
    So what is it? I picked it up at the Alameda Point Antique Faire and flea Market on Sunday but can't remember what it is. It looks like the writing on the back is Japanese though.
    Attached Files

Comment

propeller pin

Hi,
      The back of your pin reads: Imperial Aircraft Society. I've never seen a Japanese pin like that however. It could be Chinese but anything "Imperial" there ended with the fall of the Qing in 1911, barely eight years after the first powered flight, so better chance its Japanese. Maybe someone else knows its origin for sure.

Thanks,
      Gunnar

Comment

propeller pin

It is a membership badge for the Imperial Air Association which at some unknown point changed their name to Greater Japan Air Association. I am assuming that it has a gilt finish or had one. The supporting members has a silver finish. It seems to be missing the red enamel that is in the center of the badge where the circles are. It is a civilian organization. The nicer bages are the special members badge with a red stone in the center and the best is the merit badge of the association in hallmarked gold, suspended from a ribbon in the colors of the Order of the Rising Sun and has an eagle or kite clutching the radial engine with propellor. Hope this helps.

Comment

Many Thanks for the info!

Gary
          Originally posted by A.E. Hamilton
          It is a membership badge for the Imperial Air Association which at some unknown point changed their name to Greater Japan Air Association. I am assuming that it has a gilt finish or had one. The supporting members has a silver finish. It seems to be missing the red enamel that is in the center of the badge where the circles are. It is a civilian organization. The nicer bages are the special members badge with a red stone in the center and the best is the merit badge of the association in hallmarked gold, suspended from a ribbon in the colors of the Order of the Rising Sun and has an eagle or kite clutching the radial engine with propellor. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ok, what is this?

In Japanese this badge is from the DAINIPPON HIKOKYOKAI. There is one in really nice shape and cased on US eBay item # 6551361614. Mike

Comment

a

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X