Help ID these patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ID these patches

These are the latest Japanese items that I picked up. I found pictures of them in Nakata's book, but he just states they are army or navy patches. I know the badge is a marksman badge but did the Japanese army have different grades? Any help would be appreciated. None of my references show these patches or explain there use. I also got a wrist compass and two paper Japanese soldiers with the group.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Attached Files

Here is the back of the items.
    Attached Files

Comment

insignia ID

Hello.
      The winged anchor insignia was worn by Army seaborne troops with duties on cargo vessels, landing craft etc. This patch would have been worn just below the right breast pocket.
      The metal badge with crossed rifles is an Army marksmanship badge first issued in 1939. The anchor patch looks similar to the badge for a Navy Petty Officer Third Class but doesn't have the leaves of the PO badge so I'm not sure of that one.

Hope this helps somewhat,
      Gunnar

Comment

Gunnar,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully, some of the other folks will know what the other patches are for. Anyone know of a good reference for Japanese patches?

Phil

Comment

Phil,

First of all, nice grouping of insignia and thanks for sharing the photos of the insignia with us.

I offer the following comments on the insignia:

- I concur with Gunnar on the two (2) Army seaborn trooper's insignia.
          - The two (2) cloth insignia with the crossed firearms are Army marksmanship badges. I am guessing that the differences between the badges are just differences in manufacturers or just early and late variations.
          - The single metal badge with crossed firearms appears to be a third class Army marksmanship proficiency badge.
          - The single cloth felt anchor on wool (?) circular backing is similar to a Navy Landing Force 1942 and earlier red-on-green leading seaman third class round rating insignia, but I don't feel that the pictured insignia is a Navy insignia at all and may be some type or kind of Army seaborn trooper insignia. (I have never seen this insignia before.)

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Thanks for the additional information. The patch with the anchor is on wool and appears to be the same as the larger markmanship patch.

Thanks again,
            Phil

Comment

Originally posted by LToms
              Eric,

Thanks for the additional information. The patch with the anchor is on wool and appears to be the same as the larger markmanship patch.

Thanks again,
              Phil
              Phil,

Glad I could be of assistance.

Out of curiosity, is there a story or any history behind the grouping?

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Sorry to have taken so long to get back (work sucks). I do not have any history on the items they were all in a group from ebay. I will email the seller and see if he has any further information.

Thanks,
                Phil

Comment

Phil,

Roger that!

I am curious as to what the felt anchor on wool circular backing patch is for.

Eric

Comment

If I could state my opinion, and I could very well be wrong, that the anchor patch and the large marksman patch may not be original.
                    Unless good provenance proves otherwise, the style and crudity of the stitching is not what the known originals I have seen exhibit.
                    They are both exactly the same materials and obviously made by the same hand.

Conrad

Comment

Originally posted by cbuehler
                      If I could state my opinion, and I could very well be wrong, that the anchor patch and the large marksman patch may not be original.
                      Unless good provenance proves otherwise, the style and crudity of the stitching is not what the known originals I have seen exhibit.
                      They are both exactly the same materials and obviously made by the same hand.

Conrad

Conrad,

Interesting observation!

As you, and others, may know, Nakata san has some of his "wares" pictured in his book.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X