Hi,
    I am planing to bid on the following swords on e-bay

Please let me have your opinion, if they are real WW-2 items

WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword signed & dated
    Item number: 65 44 763 966

WWII Japanese Naval Officer Dress Sword
    Item Number 65 44 740 668

Looking forward to your opinions

If they are real WWII items, what is a reasonable price for each of them.

Bye
    Michael

Ebay Swords

Hi Michael,

While I am far from an expert on Japanese swords, I have owned and handled quite a few and still have a respectable number.

I don't blame you for wanting to add one to your collection, however, I'm not sure you want to commit much money to the officer model pictured on ebay. The seller mentions that the pitting is not severe, based upon the pictures I would have to disagree. The blade is rough and "tired" with numerous stains and dark areas. He also mentions nicks in the blade.

I see nothing to make me feel it is not a legitimate WWII era piece. However, if you can afford it, much better swords are out there. I have bought some great swords in the last few years in the $500-$600 range.

On the 2nd sword, I see no basis for the claim that it is naval. If I am incorrect here, members, please let me know. I think it is a standard "parade" type sword brought home in large numbers after the war probably during the occupation as these would not have seen combat. The naval version has always had a leather and brass scabbard in addition to markings identifying it as such.

Over the years, I have seen excellent examples of the type pictured here at shows for around $125, but they are slow movers.

I hope my comments were some help. If you decide to proceed with bidding, just don't go overboard on the amount you commit. You'll probably regret it later when the opportunity for a really nice piece comes along.

Good collecting,

William

Comment

I agree with the above assessment on the swords. The first one is a complete example of a WW2 officer's sword, with the leather covered field scabbard.This is a good thing, but it IS in rather rough shape-the blade has been badly neglected. I personally would only pay no more than about $350, but who knows what will happen on ebay. If the condition is acceptable to you,I think you can feel confident that this sword is an authentic example of the type.
      The second one is a "parade sword". I could dig out a reference book and find the exact type, but I have never been too interested in these, and know almost nothing about them. They usually don't go for too much money, as collector interest in them seems to be low. Don't believe that hokum in the description about the hamon and a hand-forged blade. These swords had the temper line (hamon) artificially etched onto the blade with acid (so did a lot of the WW2 officer's swords) to give the impression of being a quality blade.

Doug Price

Comment

Japanese swords

Hi William and Doug,

thank you for the fast replay and top information .
        If I bid for the swords I will keep your price opinion in mind.

William if one of your japanese swords(well used condition) is looking
        for a knew home let me know

Over here in germany it is almost impossible to find WW-2 Japanese
        stuff.

The only opertunety to purchase some flags a sword is the forum
        and the us-ebay.

Have a nice weekend and greetings from germany.
        Bye
        Michael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X