Japanese Merchant Marine cap insignia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Merchant Marine cap insignia?

I picked this hat up several years ago. I didn't recognize the insignia but the eagle and construction is almost identical to early Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force officer's caps. I assumed it was for the merchant fleet but haven't been able to track it down. Since then I've been on the lookout for more information.
    Attached Files

Then, a couple of months ago I stumbled onto this cap on ebay. It ended up costing more than it should have, but I had to have it as a companion piece to my officer's cap!

What makes it so neat, it's a very faded, well worn 1944 dated Type 3!

I'm still assuming it's post-war used, but does anyone recognize the insignia?

eric
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Eric,

The last cap is a real beauty. The only place I have ever seen that insignia is at Peter's website:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Japan...otos/J047.html

It's listed as naval reserve insignia. Unfortunately, I can't tell much more as I'm still learning much of Japanese militaria

Cheers,
      Laurens

Comment

Good eye Laurens!
        Thanks!

Eric

Comment

Blinky (a.k.a. Eric),

Yes, the "compass-looking-star" insignia on the cap and visor hat is the insignia of the Navy reserve.

I have a war time Navy handbook which shows this (reserve) insignia.

Eric

Comment

So, would the seamans cap be war time?

Eric

Comment

Blinky (a.k.a. Eric),

I have never seen a soft cap with the Navy reserve insignia on it. However, I have seen a seaman "Donald Duck" hat; a petty officer visor hat; and officer visor hats with the (Navy reserve) insignia.

Did you happen to check the front inside of the cap to see if there was a regular machine woven or bevo anchor insignia attached to the cap at one point in time?

Eric

Comment

It doesn't appear so. There is a hole in the center that looks like it could have been from another insignia, like one with a screw-post and nut. This insignia is stitched only on the bottom, you can see that it's been on the cap for a very long time because the fading behind it is much less. One other thing to note, this cap has brass ventilation grommets.

Comment

Blinky (a.k.a. Eric),

That is interesting that the cap has a hole in the front of the cap where an another insignia may have gone. It is also interesting the cap is equipped with brass air vents. Out of curiosity, is the cap also equipped with brass cap tie holes (in the back of the cap) as well?

You mentioned the cap was dated 1944. Does the cap have a cloth rectangular procurement office/name tag sewn onto the inside of the cap or is the inside of the cap marked with a rectangular procurement office/name stamp? Could you post a photo or two of the markings on the inside of the cap?

Eric

Comment

The tie holes are stitch reinforced and the procurement markings are the rectangular stamp. I'll try to get a picture of it, but it is also very faded and hard to make out.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X