Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Army helmet star question

Hi Guy's,
    Can you help me on my first visit to the Japanese Militaria forum??
    Did the stardard Army helmet have just a flat star or could you get them with raised stars? Also would it be possible for one of you nice guy's to post some pictures of 'right' helmets with different insignia to help me get started.
    Cheers
    Irv

Hi Irv. I have only seen what I believe are authentic army helmets with the flat star. I've seen helmets on ebay with raised stars, but I've always been very weary of them. Here is a link to the helmets currently listed at The Collectors Guild. He has a nice assortment of different Jap helmet types. Hope this helps....

Collectors Guild Japanese Helmets

Joel

Comment

Thanks Joel,
      I don't have any reference books on these helmets. I have done a search on the forum but there is nothing specific to the different badges that would appear on the front. I've seen the flat star and the fouled anchor but were there any more??
      If anyone has the answer please can you post pictures or give descriptions.

Regards
      Irv

Comment

While this topic is being discussed, can anyone answer whether or not all helmet stars had rounded ends on the clip, or did any have squared off ends?
        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Irv,

Welcome to the Japanese Militaria Forum.

A little over a year ago, I wrote an article for Banzai (note, Banzai is a monthly Japanese Militaria newsletter that is printed here in the States) on Japanese Model 90 Helmets. I have cut, pasted, and modified (so that the sections of the article would post on the forum) the insignia section of the article below.

Both Army and Navy versions of the Model 90 steel helmet were equipped with insignia. The Army used a semi-flat five-pointed star insignia throughout the war while the Navy used a chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia initially and then changed to a stenciled or painted anchor insignia later in the war.

The semi-flat five-pointed star insignia were typically made of steel while the chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia were typically made of brass or steel.

Notes: One semi-flat five-pointed star insignia made of brass has been observed.
          Raised five-pointed star insignia made of brass have also been reported. The two raised five-pointed star insignia examples reported to date were noted as being similar in appearance to the raised five-pointed star insignia typically found on Army visor hats, Army pith helmets, and Army tropical helmets.

Rope fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia made of brass or steel may also be encountered. The rope fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia, which may also be found in silver or nickel-plated versions as well, were originally designed for, and used on, earlier style (i.e., pre-Model 90) Japanese Navy steel helmets.<O</O

Pierced rope fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia made of brass have also been found. The pierced rope fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia are believed to have been designed for, and used on, earlier style (i.e., pre-Model 90) Japanese Navy steel helmets.

Continued on the next page...
          Last edited by Eric Doody; 06-12-2005, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Continued from the previous page...

The backside of each semi-flat five-pointed star insignia, as well as each chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia, was equipped with a set of flat-side prongs that used to attach the insignia to a shell.

Note: The prongs of the insignia were inserted through a “slot” in the front of a shell (as well as through a “slot” in the front portion of a liner band) and bent in opposite directions (180 degrees apart from each other) thus securing the insignia (as well as the front part of the liner) to the front of the shell.
            The flat-side prongs on the semi-flat five-pointed star insignia were "V-shaped" and appear to have been welded or brazed onto the solid, slightly concaved, backside of the insignia while the flat-sided prongs on the chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia were "_I I_-shaped" and appear to have been soldered onto the solid, slightly concaved, backside of the insignia.

The ends of the flat-sided "V-shaped" prongs on the semi-flat five-pointed star insignia were typically rounded while the ends of the flat-sided "_I I_-shaped" prongs on the chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia were typically squared-off.

Notes: The prongs of one steel five-pointed star insignia were found to be equipped with squared-off ends as opposed to rounded ends.

The prongs of one steel rope fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia were found to be equipped with rounded ends as opposed to squared-off ends.<O</O

The prongs of the one pierced brass rope fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia observed to date were found to be equipped with half angled (i.e., the upper half of each prong) - half squared-off (i.e., the lower half of each prong) ends.

Continued on the next page...
            Last edited by Eric Doody; 06-12-2005, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Continued from the previous page...

The five-pointed star insignia and the chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia appear to have been arsenal/factory painted at or about the same time that the shells were painted since the color of the insignia and the color of the shell paint typically match.

Note: Some unpainted five-pointed star insignia and rope fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia have been encountered and/or reported.
              Five-pointed star insignia and chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia were also (re)painted in the field or onboard ship. Sometimes the (re)painted insignia was painted the same color as the shell paint and sometimes it was not.

Like the "field" or "shipboard" painted shells, the color and quality of the (re)painted insignia depended upon the availability of paint and on the skill, expertise, or whim of the individual(s) doing the painting.

Later in the war (i.e., 1943 – 1945) the Navy moved away from the chain fouled anchor & cherry blossom insignia and went with a yellow colored stenciled or painted anchor insignia which was less costly to produce.<O</O

The stenciled or painted anchor insignia was, for the most part, applied over, or on top of, the front liner retaining clip (discussed in greater detail later in this article) in the front of the shell.

Hope this helps.

Eric
              Last edited by Eric Doody; 06-12-2005, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Irv (and Larry),

If you haven't already done so, I recommend following the link below for additional information on Japanese Army Model 90 helmets...

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67984

Also, reproduction helmet insignia has been around for years and the information that I provided in my cut, pasted, and modified "insignia section article" should be helpful in determining if a helmet insignia is original or not.

Eric

Comment

Comment

Irv,

I realize my response was probably way more than you were hoping for. (I thought it would be easier if I just cut and pasted from an article that I already wrote on the subject.) However, if you have a specific question, please feel free to ask it.

Eric

Originally posted by britpc

Comment

Eric you are the man

I had a look but then had to go out. I'm away this week running a rifle course but I'm back on friday. I've printed it off and will have a good look while I'm away.

I have found a helmet for sale over here. Would it be OK to send some picture for you to look at?

Or if you could point me in the right direction of a nice one for sale I would appreciate the help
                      Regards
                      Irv

Comment

Irv,

Glad I could be of some assistance.

I have also sent you a PM.

Eric

Originally posted by britpc
                        Eric you are the man

I had a look but then had to go out. I'm away this week running a rifle course but I'm back on friday. I've printed it off and will have a good look while I'm away.

I have found a helmet for sale over here. Would it be OK to send some picture for you to look at?

Or if you could point me in the right direction of a nice one for sale I would appreciate the help
                        Regards
                        Irv

Comment

We'll, since I've managed to loose my helmet star, I guess it doesn't matter whether it's original or not. Thanks for the response.
                          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Larry,

In the event you find your missing helmet star...it has been my experience that 99 % of the original stars that I have seen have rounded prong ends and that only 1 % of original stars that I have seen have squared-off prong ends.

Eric

Originally posted by Larry Lipps
                            We'll, since I've managed to loose my helmet star, I guess it doesn't matter whether it's original or not. Thanks for the response.

Comment

There's alot more to these stars than meets the eye !!!

Eric would you be so kind as give your expertise on this one, after reading you extracts I fear the worst.

Kr

Marcus
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X