Opinion on gunto sword.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on gunto sword.

Hi everyone. Sorry for my English. I am asking for advice. I would like to buy this sword. It seems to me that it has a non-original button and one non-original fitting. How much can such a sword really be worth? What are your opinions about him? Thank you for all the help.

https://www.ebay.pl/itm/333216931144

Michal,
    The whole gunto looks legit to me. The chuso (button) may have been custom made. Can't zoom in on it enough to tell, but looks like it might have a sakura on it.
    I'm not an expert on smiths, but I've heard the name Takehisa bantered about some. He is in my world because he is one of only 4 smiths, to my knowledge, that has the "W" stamp on the nakago. It's not a dollar-value thing, simply a rare curiosity that, as collectors, we can be willing to pay more for.

I don't know European market values. I have heard that gunto are harder to come by, and therefore more expensive. But this gunto in the US would normally go for that price or slightly lower. With COVID things have slowed considerably, so you might be able to make a lower offer.

Comment

武久
      Takehisa

昭和十八年 秋
      Showa 18th year [1943], Autumn

I can't find much about him after a 5 minute Google search.

Photos attached for the record.

-- Guy
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the answers. Is it possible for the Sword to be made by hand using traditional methods? the seller says so, but I don't want to believe it too much.

Comment

It is possible, but cannot tell from those pictures.

He is discussed often on Nihonto Message Board. Here is one thread: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...d/?hl=takehisa

Slough's book, and others, list him as primarily a showato (non-traditionally made) blade maker.

Comment

Try and post a good photo of the Hamon then we can tell you if it’s gendiato

Comment

Are such photos enough?
              Attached Files

Comment

The experienced guys with gendaito (traditionally made blades) might have a better opinion, but it appears someone used a fine-grade sandpaper on this, which unfortunately obscures much of the finer detail. My gut says it's not traditionally made, but standard army showato.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X