Obscure Type 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obscure Type 90

I've had this Type 90 for some time now, and cannot figure out what it is. It was, at some point, a Type 90, but has been converted with a new liner, paint and badge. If anyone knows that this is, I'd be grateful.
    Attached Files

Refurbished post war by another Asian country

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
      Refurbished post war by another Asian country
      +1

Will G.

Comment

Originally posted by will g. View Post
        +1

will g.
        +1

Comment

yoshiyuki
          Attached Files

Comment

This is my helmet.
            S in rhombus marking is Kobe Steel, Ltd and size marking is small, 小 in Japanese.

yoshiyuki
            Attached Files

Comment

Appreciate all the replies, guys. I wish I could figure out what country this was refurbed by. It matches some Thai rework Type 90's, but the front badge is still a mystery to me.

Comment

Okay ... I think I have it, but this is still a guess since I've not found another example to verify.

I think it is a Malayan army helmet. From 1958~1961 Malaya used the 11-point star. I do not know when/if Malaya reissued surplus Japanese helmets; also, *if* Malay, his helmet might have been used before 1958.

Again just theories.

-- Guy
                Attached Files

Comment

I ran across two of these many many years ago. At that time I was told they were Siamese. I think they are actually early post war Thai helmets? They both had these badges on them. The liners were identical to the subject helmet though. I just put them in storage thinking they were of little value. One day I ran across them and put them on e-bay to go for what someone was willing to pay. I was surprised by what they brought. Seems like they were in the $275-$300 range each. There is a market for them. Or there was at that time.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Striking 9th; 05-21-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Striking 9th,

Yes, this one is Thai army. They usually have the Japanese liner replaced with a US M1 style liner.

-- Guy

Comment

I feel that there is something on the metal fittings for the chin strap. Do you know what word this is?
                      I think the organization that used this helmet after the war has replaced the interior. Are there any markings or letters on the interior?

yoshiyuki
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                        Striking 9th,

Yes, this one is Thai army. They usually have the Japanese liner replaced with a US M1 style liner.

-- Guy
                        Hello Guy, mine both had the red liner with three flexible mounting arms which utilized the holes left by the original Japanese bracket hardware like on the subject helmet. There is also a large thin metal square behind each pad which attaches to those flexible arms via brass clips. The only difference was the insignia. I think this style predates the adaptation of the U.S. style liner suspension.
                        S

Comment

I think that's it. My guess now, with the info given, is that it was a Japanese Type 90 left in Siam (based on the liner) that somehow found itself in Malaya.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit indy View Post
                            I feel that there is something on the metal fittings for the chin strap. Do you know what word this is?
                            I think the organization that used this helmet after the war has replaced the interior. Are there any markings or letters on the interior?

yoshiyuki
                            I have no idea what the tag is on the swivel. It just reads "25". No idea if it was added by a previous owner or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyrish View Post
                              I think that's it. My guess now, with the info given, is that it was a Japanese Type 90 left in Siam (based on the liner) that somehow found itself in Malaya.
                              Or left in Malaya by the Japanese. Plenty of Japanese in Malaya back then as they occupied Malaya from 1941-45.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X