ID help on contents of a comfort bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID help on contents of a comfort bag

Hi, I’ve got a comfort bag with assorted contents including a small silver goblet, luggage tags, a Red Cross medal, a couple of photos and 3 booklets.

Can anyone offer information regarding any/all of these items?

Many thanks in advance,
    Taff
    9F20C659-6EDE-4920-9870-ED4D02AD710A.jpeg

C589C844-3F7C-4EC9-BAE5-BDDBE6284435.jpeg

Guntai Techo:
    Artillery soldier, 4th Company/Battery, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, 3rd Division
    Superior Private
    Born: Meiji 42, 5th Month = May 1909 so a conscript in 1938
    東京府 東京市 Tokyo Urban Prefecture, Tokyo city

Last name: 佑藤 First name: 三吉 Sankichi

Paper dated Showa 14 following the techo photo mentions the 12th Field Artillery Regiment so maybe your artilleryman was transferred.

Rod
    Last edited by Rod G; 05-13-2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Fantastic Rod, I’m much obliged to you.
      I’m guessing the information came from the single page of the booklet

Do you have any idea about the small pieces of paper (and the larger handwritten one) which were tucked into a pocket in the inside cover.

Cheers
      Taff

Comment

Hey Rod,

Nice translation work, although I would read the sub unit information as that of the 3rd Field Heavy Artillery Regiment (Med Art.) under the 1st Field Heavy Art Brigade within the 3rd Division.

Is it possible to see the other handwritten pages within the booklet? The 3rd Div. engaged in heavy fighting in China at the time this soldier was in the unit, so maybe a lot of battle entries.

The loose leaf sheet states the soldier was hospitalized for Malaria in 1937, while he was with the 12th Med. Art. Regt.

The small papers are good luck charms from various shrines in Japan, one looks to be from Minatogawa shrine, the famous sword making shrine in Kobe.

Here is a link to more information on shrine amulets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omamori

The two other booklets are non military factory worker booklets. Probably came as a grouping, and these were used after the soldier was discharged from his unit.

Tom
        Last edited by GeorgeP; 05-13-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod G View Post
          Guntai Techo:
          Artillery soldier, 4th Company/Battery, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, 3rd Division
          Superior Private
          Born: Meiji 42, 5th Month = May 1909 so a conscript in 1938
          東京府 東京市 Tokyo Urban Prefecture, Tokyo city

Last name: 佑藤 First name: 三吉 Sankichi

Paper dated Showa 14 following the techo photo mentions the 12th Field Artillery Regiment so maybe your artilleryman was transferred.

Rod
          Good job, Rod

Surname:

佑藤

Satō
          [a different name than 伊藤 Satō]

-- Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
            Good job, Rod

Surname:

佑藤

Satō
            [a different name than 伊藤 Satō]

-- Guy
            Thanks Tom. I more or less figure that "Field" is a euphemism for mobile these days as no size fits all (pun intended).

Taff, what Tom says about the unit's name.

Guy, thanks as always. My ageing browser no longer accesses Tangorin, my go-to for difficult Japanese names so you may see more "gaps" from me for a while.

Rod

Comment

佑藤 = Yuto .....Huge Reading Error by Me!!!!

Guy, thanks as always. My ageing browser no longer accesses Tangorin, my go-to for difficult Japanese names so you may see more "gaps" from me for a while.
              My Japanese name resource didn't recognize the name as well ... had to google it to and finally find something with the pronunciation such as this hit:
              佑藤 苗字
              hnsupps.com › assets › blog › 89021...
              伊藤と同じ画数の苗字. 羽藤 謙佑.
              Well, I didn't read further than "The same as Ito...." What the full sentence says is "[] Surnames with the same number of strokes as Ito."

(Edit:.... Which isn't correct because = 6 strokes and is 7 strokes.)

So .... I just looked at that source again and I cannot copy the page, so had to take a screenshot. It ACTUALLY says:
              "The name 佑藤 is pronounced Yūto [ゆうと] or Yūtoh [ゆうとう]."

Sorry for the bogus information !!!!

-- Guy
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GHP; 05-13-2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Guy,

Thanks for trying and thanks for the new "name" web site. I can still access this one. Nice!

That's funny, I rejected 'Yuto' because I didn't trust this Google web site with 佑藤... turns out... it worked (sorry but you'll have to do your own copy and pasting to recreate results)

https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=TT

Cheers!

Rod

Comment

Many thanks to you all for your help.

I’ve taken more photos of the booklet which I assume is his military record.

The first half has orange printed pages and no handwritten text.
                  The second half is in black print and I’ve copied all the handwritten notes.
                  Two pages have handwritten notes pasted onto the original pages.

Each page consists of a doubled sheet of paper, folded over. The booklet cover is silk on board.

Finally, apologies again if the photos are inverted. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get them the right way up!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Guntai Techo:
                    Born: Meiji 42, 5th Month = May 1909 so a conscript in 1928
                    Ooops, I said 1938, it's 1928. Conscription was mandatory the year before a young man turned 20 yrs. old.

Originally posted by taff
                    Finally, apologies again if the photos are inverted. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get them the right way up!
                    Hi taff, happens because you live in a country where people drive on the wrong side of the road. Kidding. This may help...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Rod. Next time I visit Canada you can tell me how to get the pics the right way up!

Comment

Well, that is certainly one way to put entries into these booklets. Usually they are handwritten, but in this case, there are two dozen stamped entries for assaults, battles, and garrison periods between late 1937 through half of 1939. By July, 1939, this soldier had sailed back to Japan, landing in Kobe. There is a roll call stamp for 1940, so he was not active by then.

Tom

Comment

Thanks again Tom.
                          Are there any details of what battles, assaults etc?

I wish I could read them myself!!!

I’ll add photos of the other contents of the bag soon.
                          Cheers
                          Taff

Comment

I would need crisper close up photos of the stamped entries (pics 1 and 2 that Rod arranged on his thread) to give a better idea. They are all Chinese place names, something I don't tend to focus on in collecting.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X