griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese post war sword sold at "PX" bases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese post war sword sold at "PX" bases?

Hello forum

I am being offered one of these for $500. I think it's too high... since I heard these are post war, and sold at PX's on base.

I saw debates on other forums as to whether they are made from surplus war time parts, or just newly made post war for GI's.

One forum said 8000 were made post war, till the early 1950s.

my question is... what are these worth?

They look navy, but only have one ring on the scabbard. The blades are stainless steel. thanks Robert

ps

this is the only photo I have.

Attached Files

Comment

I believe that is the accepted explanation for these swords. I was one of the people who added a smoking gun to the discussion a while back. I was surfing the net and found one of these swords for sale. It came with its original PX sales receipt and bring back paperwork from post war Japan.

PG-

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
        I believe that is the accepted explanation for these swords. I was one of the people who added a smoking gun to the discussion a while back. I was surfing the net and found one of these swords for sale. It came with its original PX sales receipt and bring back paperwork from post war Japan.

PG-
        Hello

yes... I think I saw your thread... The seller is telling me it was shipped back in 1943. But, I was suspicious when I saw the one ring, black lacquered wooden scabbard, and stainless steel blade.

Robert

Comment

They were probably using "new old stock" for the blades, not making more.

-- Guy

Comment

"Worth" is one of those discussions that the only answer is "That depends."

In reality, they are running in the $500 range. I like them because they have a distinct place in history, and are tied to WWII as sort of the last "." to the story.

Comment

Hi
              I like them too, there are SA daggers made for GI's after the war from some original parts ,no scabbard, and they sell for less then half (depending on the dagger) So $500 isn't too high a price, Ive seen them for sale for $1000.
              Regards
              Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X