IJA camouflage body net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJA camouflage body net

I got the camouflage net of the Japanese Army.
    The size is 44 inches square, made from green, yellow and brown threads. The overall shape is square, but there is a notch at one corner, and it seems that the part is worn around the neck. The threads on the four sides are thick and the threads on the net are thin. It is like a machine-woven thread. The color of the thin thread changes from yellow to green and yellow to brown by dyeing.
    The end of the thread remains cut.

It seems that a large amount of dead stock was found a few years ago, and it is sold at a relatively low price.

yoshiyuki
    Attached Files

A reproduction imo. The waves of these hitting online auctions are probably coming out of china.

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
      A reproduction imo. The waves of these hitting online auctions are probably coming out of china.
      Thanks for the comment. At first I was wondering if it was a reproduction, but I heard that hundreds of stocks were found as information from a famous collector living in Japan. I also bought one and checked it with black light, but it did not respond.

However, this camouflage net is thin and the shape is different from the known camouflage nets.

And I think I have to find out where and how it was discovered.

yoshiyuki

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit indy View Post
        However, this camouflage net is thin and the shape is different from the known camouflage nets.
        Yoshiyuki, the key thing is what you said above - all of these nets have a different shape from the official specification. At first (~2018) these sold for high prices, then they dropped as more seemed to come out. The only ones i trust are the ones which follow the official specifications where they are hung thru a slit on the side - very differently then these DIAGONAL Slit ones.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
          Yoshiyuki, the key thing is what you said above - all of these nets have a different shape from the official specification. At first (~2018) these sold for high prices, then they dropped as more seemed to come out. The only ones i trust are the ones which follow the official specifications where they are hung thru a slit on the side - very differently then these DIAGONAL Slit ones.

Yes, that's right.
          It is generally believed that the camouflage nets in the photo specifications are genuine. The problem is that the type with slits in the corner has a different shape from this specification.

I would like to have a specification of a camouflaged net with a slit in the corner or a photo that is actually worn at that time.
          I would like to investigate a little more. Thank you.

yoshiyuki

Comment

Hello beretta1934,

軍網8号仕様書附図詳細
            =Details of attached drawings for Military Net No. 8

I got some important information from my friend about the specifications you showed me.

There are over 20 types of Japanese Military Net. This specification is the specification for the No.8 military net.
            The unit of length in the figure seems to be mm,
            This military net seems to be too large for a camouflage net for the human body. This is a specification for the No.8 military net, but No.8 military net is not for the human body, but for disguising larger objects.
            And my friend says that the camouflaged net with slits in the corner is the No.2 military net. The camouflage net for the helmet seems to be the No.1 military net.
            It seems that the specifications of the No.2 military net are now privately held and not open to the public.

yoshiyuki

Comment

The spec below is the one Nick posted. If there is one for a diagonal slit I can't understand how it could be private? Did Nick say that?

The length on the spec for #8 isn't really the issue - the slit opening position is the focus and it matches all previous known nets and photos of people wearing them. Spec or no spec - show me a wartime photo of someone wearing a diagonal one

The real point if this - no one has ever seen the diagonal slit till 2018 when literally dozens upon dozens show up. I've had two of the horizontal opening style and one came with colored scrim (dried plant/straw) tied to it and the other was tri-colored, but no scrim. I have been a serious collector for 40 years and I just think, without ANY other collector I have known having a diagonal one and no spec detailing them, they are Highly suspicious and very likely fakes. But hey show me the spec and I'll be a believer
              Last edited by beretta1934; 04-26-2020, 09:25 AM.

Comment

What he means is some of the spec sheets for the nets are still in private hands. A large portion of original specs are missing and not in the archives in Japan. For instance even the full specs for something as common as the T98 uniform are missing.
                Until we get access to all of the spec sheets, we can't really come to a conclusion. Thanks to the mindset of hoarding historical documents in Japan, that day will probably never come.
                IMO these are just a later style unused deadstock, probably almost none ever got issued to the frontlines before the war ended.

Comment

I have investigated the camouflaged net of IJA in WW2, so I will report the progress. I found that the Japanese Army clothing specifications book contains various specifications of Japanese military equipment. It was published at the Japanese Archives, and digital data was available.

It turns out that there are 13 types of Japanese camouflage nets in all. Of course there is also the #8 military net of information from Nick Komiya.
                  I also found that #1 camouflage net is for steel Helmets and #2 camouflage net is for soldiers body.

However, it was also found that the specifications for the camo nets #1 and #2 were lost at the end of the war, and are now privately owned, and due to copyright issues, they are not open to the public.

However, there was a person who read the specifications of the #2 camouflage net before, and I was able to get information from that person.
                  According to the person, the specification of the # 2 camo net definitely included a figure with a slit in one corner.

I want to get the specification of #2 and publish it on this forum.
                  Please wait a moment.

yoshiyuki
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by rabbit indy; 04-27-2020, 01:32 AM.

Comment

IJA Helmet Cover Spec.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have one with diagonal opening since 2002. And not like the ones we saw in 2018. Better construction, better rope different camo schema then the ones we see now for the moment pop up.

Comment

I have owned a few of these multi color nets over the years. They do come in several sizes. I had one so large it could have covered an artillery piece. Others seem to be for equipment. Then of course the ones made for the individual soldier. All these shared some of the same characteristics is construction. The material however was always consistent for whatever size. These new multi colored nets are missing some things I have seen carry over from example to example in construction. Most important is the material that is being used on the new ones is totally unlike anything I have seen on an original multi color net. I wish David Frame was still a member here. He has probably handled more of these then anyone I know. My opinion is they are 100% modern reproductions.

Comment

Originally posted by lorre View Post
                          I have one with diagonal opening since 2002. And not like the ones we saw in 2018. Better construction, better rope different camo schema then the ones we see now for the moment pop up.
                          I totally agree. Esp on the poor quality of the material used on the subject examples.

Comment

Originally posted by lorre View Post

Hello,

I also know that diagonal opening camo net have been found in very small quantities long ago.
                            This is a friend of mine, but he said he got it nearly 20 years ago.
                            The shape is similar to that found in large numbers around 2017-2018, but the thread is thick and there are many bark for camouflage.

There was certainly a diagonal opening camouflage net during the war.
                            If the specifications of Military Net #2 can be published here, it can be proved that there was diagonal opening camouflaged net at that time.
                            Of course I think that it is another matter whether the camouflage net found around 2017-2018 is genuine or not.
                            Sorry bad picture.

yoshiyuki
                            Attached Files

Comment

There is also a multi color with a part made to cover a helmet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X