WWII Sword Authentication/Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII Sword Authentication/Help

I have always wanted to have a Japanese sword from WWII in my collection but I will confess that I know very little. I was hoping that some people with more knowledge and experience than me could look at this sword and give some information on it (most importantly, is it authentic) and also a general value. The sword didn't come directly from a veteran so I figured it's always good to get a second opinion. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Also, overall length is 35.75 inches.

Comment

James,
      It's a legit, Type 98 Japanese officer gunto in "combat saya". There would have been a leather cover over the saya (scabbard), but it's gone.

Guy, will correct me and/or offer more info on the smith, but I'm seeing:

兼吉 (Kaneyoshi)

吉田 丑之助 is his real name, but I''m not able to translate that.

Value is quite variable in today's market (Covid has dampened sales too). Officer gunto tend to run from $500 all the way to $1,200 depending on a lot of variables. I'd put this in the $900 range, but that's just an opinion.

Comment

Also, James, could I get a clear close-up of that image at the end of the nakago (tang)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
          Also, James, could I get a clear close-up of that image at the end of the nakago (tang)
          Sorry. That was as good of a picture as I got from the seller. Really appreciate the insight. I may see if I can request a clearer picture.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
            ...Guy, will correct me and/or offer more info on the smith, but I'm seeing:

兼吉 (Kaneyoshi)

吉田 丑之助 is his real name, but I''m not able to translate that.

Bruce:

According to Markus Sesko's book:

KANEYOSHI (兼吉), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kaneyoshi” (兼吉), real name Yoshida Ushinosuke (吉田丑之助), he worked as guntō smith, Fifth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

-- Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X