Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hachimaki - What makes an original?

Hi there,

I am fairly new to Japanese collecting and came across this headband. I know that there are thousands of fakes out there and I have seen similar specimen on IMA but seeing that I like to talk to legitimate collectors and not dealers, I would be interested to know if there is a golden standard in these. This one is a bit clean which concerns me, a linen cotton type, seems printed (there is a brown aura around the lettering) There is yellowing only on the fold exposed, otherwise fairly crisp.

What would be the consensus?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

You can find items like these in the gift shops of/near major Shinto shrines all over Japan. I don't know if I have ever seen a legit. "kamikaze" headband from the war, aside from the headbands made for factory workers for the war effort.

Tom

Comment

Read Nick Komiya's article.

Comment

Hachimaki

I have a question: If a "factory worker's" kamikaze/divine wind-style headband was worn by an actual tokkotai or navy trained, kamikaze-intended pilot, would the headband be a kamikaze headband? No sarcasm here, just wondering.....

MikeB

Comment

Hachimaki

I just re-read Nick's article. Thank you again for posting it.....

MikeB

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
            I have a question: If a "factory worker's" kamikaze/divine wind-style headband was worn by an actual tokkotai or navy trained, kamikaze-intended pilot, would the headband be a kamikaze headband? No sarcasm here, just wondering.....

MikeB

A new koan worth pondering.

Tom

Comment

Hachimaki

Tom-
              I knew that I could count on you to return to your Zen roots! I have been thinking about you during the virus outbreak; I hope that you and yours are well and staying safe....

Regards,

MikeB

Comment

Thanks, Mike. Wishes for continued good health going out to you, the family, and our WAF community.

Hunkered down in Denver for now. Lockdown getting long in the tooth, but the health system hasn't been overwhelmed here as of yet, thank goodness. May something akin to normal come to all of us soon.

Tom

Comment

Thank you for the responses on this, it's an excellent article, I appreciate the response!

Comment

Were any Kempeitai armbands tan? I have only seen them in white. If tan could be original where were they used?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X