WW2 Japanese Samurai Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Japanese Samurai Sword

Hi Guys, just want to show you my latest pickup, and I thought I had stopped collecting

I managed to get this nice Samurai sword from a friend/Dealer here in Perth WA, he got it straight from the Vets Family, but the Family does not want his name mentioned. This sword was surrendered on the 9 September 1945 in the Village of Morotai Papa New Guinea to the Royal Australian Engineers (cool as I was an Army Engineer back in the 70/80s). The sword is in great condition and comes with the belt, and chain, plus something I haven't seen a foul weather leather hood. The Image are copies, also I do not know which of the Japanese surrounding Officers the sword belong to.

Can someone let me know what the scrip on the hand is, thanks,

Lou
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

忠勝
      Tadakatsu

Per Markus Sesko's book:

TADAKATSU (忠勝), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Tadakatsu” (忠勝), real name Kōketsu Minoru (纐纈稔), born September 6th 1923, he worked as guntō smith

昭和十八年
      Showa 18th Year [1943]

Comment

The corrosion and lighting make the date difficult, but I believe I'm seeing 1936, which makes this quite early in the WWII gunto family. They bagan re-making the samurai-styled blades for the military in 1934.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
          The corrosion and lighting make the date difficult, but I believe I'm seeing 1936, which makes this quite early in the WWII gunto family. They bagan re-making the samurai-styled blades for the military in 1934.
          Bruce, I think your eyes are deceiving you ... Showa 18 for sure.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey I felt lucky to make out the 10!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
              Hey I felt lucky to make out the 10!

Comment

Thanks guys for your knowledgable info, and sorry for the unclear images of the scripted, my hands are not that steady these days, but if I can get better clear images I will post them up.

Lou

Comment

Nice score
                  Almost impossible to get a complete rig now

Comment

Company officer tassel and with a NCO belt???

Comment

Yes, Gunto brought us back to the main point - What a beautiful full set!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X