Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese officers sword

Hi Gents,

I have this Japanese officer's sword in my collection and wondered if anyone could comment on whether they think it is from the period stated on the pictures or indeed any comments about it.
    The mounts are quite attractive however a little loose and the catch has broken. Someone has drilled out the mekugi roughly which has elongated the hole in the tsuka which causes the handle to be able to slide a little.
    Kind regards,
    Bill
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello bill
        It’s impossible to date without a hands on inspection
        But from the wear to the grove in the tang it’s had quite a few polishes
        Best guess from the photos it’s koto pre 1600’s
        Make a larger peg
        If you are in the uk pm me and I’ll post you one
        Nick

Comment

Hi Bill, the blade is definitely a genuine antique Japanese sword and Muromachi period looks correct in my novice eyes judging by the length, curvature and small kissaki. It's currently in standard WWII Army Officers mounts and the habaki seems to be a few inches further down the blade from where it would have been originally. That's pretty typical for older blades when mounted in newer mounts and it's probably had quite a few sets of those in it's lifetime.
          Can you measure the blade please from tip to the notch where the habaki sits.?
          Could you also try and take close up shots of the blade, all the way along including the kissaki?

Comment

Nice piece Bill! For what it's worth, the two larger, boar's eye seppa are on one side when there should be only one on each side of the tsuba (you probably already know this), and it looks like one small seppa is missing. By replacing the missing seppa, it will help snug-up the fit, too.

I love the laquered ito.

Comment

Many thanks for the very informative replies gentleman, I will post some close up pics of the blade in the next day or so.
              Best regards,
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                ... boar's eye seppa
                For those who are puzzled by Bruce's term "boar's eye" ... that is 猪目 ino-me (eeno-may) in Japanese. For some reason the Japanese thought a heart-shape looked like a boar's eye.

-- Guy
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                  Hi Bill, the blade is definitely a genuine antique Japanese sword and Muromachi period looks correct in my novice eyes judging by the length, curvature and small kissaki. It's currently in standard WWII Army Officers mounts and the habaki seems to be a few inches further down the blade from where it would have been originally. That's pretty typical for older blades when mounted in newer mounts and it's probably had quite a few sets of those in it's lifetime.
                  Can you measure the blade please from tip to the notch where the habaki sits.?
                  Could you also try and take close up shots of the blade, all the way along including the kissaki?
                  Hi Ben,
                  Many thanks for your reply. The measurement is 26 3/8 inches.
                  Photos to follow shortly.
                  Regards,
                  Bill

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the length and additional photos Bill.
                            Man, I really thought it would be longer than that, photos can be deceiving.
                            Blade is pretty tired and as Nick said, seen a number of polishes. But you know, it can still be appreciated for what it is and that's a genuine old Samurai sword.

Comment

Many thanks for your reply Ben. Yes, the blade is not in the best polish but actually looks better in hand. If anyone could PM me regarding an estimated value on this one it would be most appreciated.
                              Best regards,
                              Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X