Patriotic Sash Soldier going to war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patriotic Sash Soldier going to war

Good afternoon gents this shut down over here in the UK is hard going , I forgot to buy beers so its making it much harder, although I have a few good malts to keep me going.

I cant believe though I have retired and instead of the golf course I am stuck in the house with the wife and kids.Mind you there are talking of bringing me back to duty .

Anyway thought I would post some more stuff.So if theres anything from my collection that anyone wants me to post I will .

Heres a patriotic sash I bought at the SOS .Its for a soldier going to war.Well that's what I was told it could be Miss Tokyo 1942 for all I can read .

I am told the soldier wore these when they were being shipped off

Graeme
    Attached Files

Miss Tokyo 1940.

Well, close enough.

田町第八家庭空防組合
    Tamachi [city] Eighth Household Air Defense Association

副組合長
    Deputy union director

Comment

Off-to-War Sash

Hi Graeme-
      Off-to-War Sashes are also known as "tasuki". There are a number of things that the Japanese call "tasuki" but this is included. These were usually made in either white or red colored cloth (I have seen images of servicemen wearing them in either and/or both colors, placed cross-wise over their shoulders). Sometimes you will even see one placed over one shoulder, while a folded good luck flag is draped over the other shoulder. Off-to-War sashes would normally have a patriotic slogan (Buun Chokyu) as well as the name of the recruit. They sometimes list the hometown or prefecture of the recruit as well. As they headed off to the troop ship or train depot, the sashes tended to allow local guys to stay better connected and/or identified with each other, as the mass of men began to fill the transport.

MikeB

Comment

Thanks once again GHP your some man

Mike I am keeping a word document of what I am learning from you as a reference , again thank you

Comment

Originally posted by dog soldier View Post
          Thanks once again GHP your some man

Mike I am keeping a word document of what I am learning from you as a reference , again thank you
          Glad to help!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X