Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yosegaki Hinomaru

Hello everyone,
    Here is a nice signed flag which is unusual for a couple of different reasons. First, the writing is done in and bleeds into the red orb, which at the time of WW2 and before, was considered bad form. Also, this flag has several fingerprints on it, done in red ink and blood. I believe this type of flag is referred to as a blood oath flag, in the collecting world. The flag is covered with many slogans and signatures. Some of the signatures have the blood print, while some signers opted for the simulated Blood print, of red ink, commonly used for a persons hanko stamp. The red ink stamps are obviously fingerprints in when viewing the flag in hand. I am curious what this flag can tell us. About the only thing I can make out is the Buun Choukyuu , everlasting fortune in battle in the 5 O'clock position with a name and red print next to it. I think I also see Victory in a couple of places. Any information is appreciated, and will be added to/kept with the flag.

PG-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul G; 03-22-2020, 06:48 PM.

more
    Attached Files

Comment

Blood Oath Flag

Paul-
      That appears to be a very nice looking flag based on the images. The slogan for "Certain Victory!" is seen near the 4 o'clock position. As you noted, blood oath flags were either done using the person's actual blood to seal his slogan/oath with a firmer promise or could also be done by pressing the person's finger into the red ink of the hanko and then leaving a red impression. The practice of blood oaths dates back to the samurai days and is quite interesting. The practice barely continues today in some martial arts schools in Japan but is considered to be rather "out there" in terms of acceptance. Blood flags are similar to these but are marked almost entirely (the red sun and the signatures) out of blood. I have a chapter dedicated to these in my book and there are a number of illustrations there for anyone interested in them.

MikeB

Comment

Hi Mike,
        Thank you for your comments. I have cherished your book for years now, and first learned of this style of flag from reading it. I have wanted one of these for a while and was fortunate enough to find one. Thank you for all you have done to advance our collecting knowledge!

Paul G-

Comment

Tremendous flag

Comment

Yosegaki Hinomaru

Paul-
            I realized that you were a serious historian of flags when we first met. For those who don't know, it is your signed battle flag that graces the cover of my book and I am proud to say that it is one of the finest I have seen. The documentation makes it impeccable. Thank you for your most kind remarks, they are much appreciated.

Graeme-
            Thank you too for your comment and for your email yesterday; all good both here and on the East Coast.

Regards,

MikeB

Comment

MikeB, thank you further for the nice comments!
              Dog Soldier. thank you for the kind comment as well!
              I hope you are all doing well and weathering through these crazy times. It will all be over soon, and we can get back to business as usual. Take care everyone!

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X