relic from battleship Nagato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relic from battleship Nagato

My wife's stepfather - a WWII US Naval officer - was one of the sailors permitted to go aboard the battleship Nagato soon after the surrender of Japan. The official reason was so the sailors could learn about Japanese ship construction, but the real reason was to let them grab war souvenirs as the Lt notes below He came away with a brass door sign that two people have translated as being for a “fire control" room.

The Nagato was the pride of Japan's Navy and the command to attack Pearl Harbor came from the Nagato, as Wikipedia notes:

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto issued the signal "Niitaka yama nobore" (Climb Mount Niitaka) December 2, 1941 from the Nagato at anchor at Hashirajima to signal the in the North Pacific to proceed in its attack on Pearl Harbor, committing Japan to the Pacific War.

A few years back I had him write up a little note about his experience.
    Last edited by Oceansider; 03-21-2020, 08:29 PM. Reason: photos

.image_4605115.jpg

image_4605116.jpg

image_4605117.jpg

image_4605118.jpg

image_4605119.jpg image_4605115.jpg image_4605117.jpg image_4605118.jpg image_4605119.jpg
    Last edited by Oceansider; 06-29-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

火管庫

Fire box storage
      Perhaps someone with a military understanding can explain what that means. In the meantime I found this for a generic (I think?) light cruiser:

砲術長・分隊長||(大尉)砲術指揮官、主砲指揮官
          砲術長傳令*(乗組生徒)
      掌砲長・分隊士*|(兵曹長)
      要具庫・倉庫・火管庫・黒色火藥庫・禮砲火藥庫
            庫員(他配置員兼務)
      Chief of Artillery and Squad || (Captain) Artillery Commander, Main Gun Commander
      Commander of artillery chief * (Crew student)
      Commander / Squadron * |
      Equipment storage, warehouse, firebox storage, black powder storage, refractory storage
      Warehouse worker

Comment

Very cool!

Tom

Comment

Thank you so much for that.

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          火管庫

Fire box storage
          Perhaps someone with a military understanding can explain what that means. In the meantime I found this for a generic (I think?) light cruiser:

砲術長・分隊長||(大尉)砲術指揮官、主砲指揮官
              砲術長傳令*(乗組生徒)
          掌砲長・分隊士*|(兵曹長)
          要具庫・倉庫・火管庫・黒色火藥庫・禮砲火藥庫
                庫員(他配置員兼務)
          Chief of Artillery and Squad || (Captain) Artillery Commander, Main Gun Commander
          Commander of artillery chief * (Crew student)
          Commander / Squadron * |
          Equipment storage, warehouse, firebox storage, black powder storage, refractory storage
          Warehouse worker

Comment

Originally posted by Oceansider View Post
            Thank you so much for that.

Comment

The Firebox is literally the "box" where the fire is contained in a steam boiler room. The picture below shows men shoveling coal into one on the USS Massachusetts (BB-2) not BB-59!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                The Firebox is literally the "box" where the fire is contained in a steam boiler room. The picture below shows men shoveling coal into one on the USS Massachusetts (BB-2) not BB-59!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X