Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Medal for Identification/Translation

Hello all,

I’ve been told this is a sports related medal, but beyond that, no information.
    Any information/translation would be of great help.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Military Academy Naming Commemoration

This one was somewhat hard..... but I figured it out

Obverse:
    with superimposed. 士 equates to knight.

Two shields:
    Martial
    Study

Reverse:
    臺名下賜記念

Commemoration of when a "dai" name was bestowed.
    [i.e.: Academy Naming Commemoration]

The modern simplified kanji is . I cannot find 台名 in the online dictionaries, but I did find one mention during a Google search:
    熊本(清水台)と下賜された台名を有していた
    ... [when the other officer academies] and Kumomoto's Shimizu-Dai had their names bestowed [by the Emperor].

This now makes sense ... Officer Academies had the suffix "dai" attached. Camp Zama, where I was stationed for almost five years, was named 相武台 Sōbudai. Here's what I found on Wiki:
    旧日本軍の正規将校養成の学校は市ヶ谷台(後に大本営が入る)をはじめ、士官学校本科が相武台、航空が修武 台、予科が振武台、陸軍経理学校が若松台にあり、幼年学校も東京(建武台)、仙台(三神峯台)、名古屋(観 武台)、大阪(千代田台)、広島(鯉城台)、熊本(清水台)と下賜された台名を有していた。戦後の防衛大学 校も小原台にある。この台という名のついた武窓に相学んだ者の集まりという意味で、名称を同台経済懇話会と 称している。

Schools for training regular officers of the former Japanese military include Ichigayadai (later will become the headquarters), Aibudai for military schools, Shubudai for aviation, Shinbudai for preparatory schools, and Wakamatsudai for army accounting school. Also had the name given to Tokyo (Kenbudai), Sendai (Mikaminedai), Nagoya (Kanbudai), Osaka (Chiyodadai), Hiroshima (Koijodai), Kumamoto (Shimizudai) . There is also a postwar defense college in Oharadai. The name is called the Daidai Economic Social Network, meaning a group of people who have learned from each other at this window named Budai.
    Hmmmm .... that article did NOT mention Sobudai!

下賜
    (kashi) grant bestowal giving something to someone of low social standing (by a person of very high social standing)

Regarding the Star and

Since I've figured out this badge is for an Academy naming commemoration ... I'm reminded that "Officer Academy" is 士官学校 Shikan-gakkō; the star probably alludes to the Army.

-- Guy
    Last edited by GHP; 03-11-2020, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Research ... and a Process of Elimination

Sheesh!! I just had a brainstorm. The Academy is probably named on the FRONT!!
      武修台 士官学校
      Bushudai Shikangakko

So, I googled it.

And ....
      I was reading backwards. The academy was:
      修武台 士官学校
      Shubudai!! It was an Army Air Academy.

Shubudai Military Academy

In 1937 (Showa 12), along with the reform of the Military Academy (independence of preparatory course and relocation of Zama-cho, Kanagawa Prefecture), "Flight Officer Tonasubeki [katakana used: トナスベキ] student and student education" (Edict) No. 566, Amended Military Academy Order), the Army Military Academy branch school was opened on October 1 at the Army Military Academy in Saitama Tokorozawa Air Base. In May 1938, the branch school moved to Toyooka-cho (currently the center of Iruma city) in the prefecture. On December 10 of the same year, it became independent as an Army Air Command School according to Royal Decree No. 745 and the Army Air Command School Order [Note 2]. In 1941 (Showa 16), the name of Shubudai was given by the Emperor Showa during his Imperial Visit.
      From the same page:
      1941年3月28日 昭和天皇行幸 修武台と賜名
      1941, March 28th. Emperor Showa Imperial Visit; Shubudai name is bestowed.

So this fob/commemorative medal is no earlier than 28 March 1941..... and was probably given out sometime in 1941; otherwise, it would probably say "Xn-year commemoration of naming."

-- Guy
      Last edited by GHP; 03-11-2020, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Guy, fantastic research/information! Thank you!

Please check your PMs.

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinRommel1940 View Post
          Guy, fantastic research/information! Thank you!

Please check your PMs.

Thanks Herr Feldmarschall.

-- Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X