Captured WW2 japanese Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captured WW2 japanese Sword

Anyone know the retail value of a WW2 captured japanese sword. Ive been looking around for a few days and i cant really find any for sale.

Where have you been looking? ebay has 1-2 dozen for sale every day. I have one for sale on this site, and there are some for sale on NMB. Then there are several dealers who frequent these forums who have swords for sale.

Comment

Bruce ive been looking on ebay and theres tons of them but none of them say that they were captured or if they have surrender tags. And do you mind sending me the link to your sword so i could see which one you have for sale?

Comment

I see, you're after one with a story, or at least a surrender tag.

In truth, ALL WWII gunto are "captured", whether on the battlefield, or at surrender sites where they had to be turned in.

Here's the one I"m selling here, but it doesn't come with a story or a tag, I'm afraid: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1035955

Comment

That's a very beautiful sword you have there but its way out of my price range. My price range is around 400 -600 even if its bad condition, but i'm not sure where to look for one for that price :/ and 400-600 may be way to little im not that sure because i mainly collect ww2 tanker and marine items .

Comment

Sure, I hear that. With that budget range, most guys that show up with swords in that price have gotten the proverbial "FIND" - something stumbled across at a flee market or a friends grandma, or something on Craigslist; or if on the market, something in not so great shape.

For example, I have a kyu-gunto that I'm about to list, that in good condition would sell for $1,200-1,400, is going to be listed for $600. It's missing the handle wire-wrap; in place of the seppa (handguard spacers) someone made a fat copper spacer, which actually prevents it from fitting all the way into the saya (scabbard); the blade is big, but non-traditional with stains and badly pitted kissaki (blade tip).
            Attached Files

Comment

hey bruce i just found a ww2 japanese nco sword on ebay for 550 do you mind checking it out for me and letting me know if its real? https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-NCO-SWO....c100667.m2042

Comment

Hmm, I would pass on that one and go for this instead, condition of the blade is pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Japane...d/153851650777

Comment

Without seeing the nakago, I'd hesitate to comment on the blade, but the fittings are not Japanese NCO fittings. At best, it's an occupied-territory-made sword; at worst it's a fake.

The one Ben linked is legit. It's an auction though, and it won't sell at that low of a price.

Comment

Yea bruce i just found this one on ebay and it looks authentic https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Japanes...l/174204578944

Comment

Originally posted by Snipez View Post
                      Yea bruce i just found this one on ebay and it looks authentic https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Japanes...l/174204578944
                      You might be able to pick that one up for a decent price, if you are looking for a post war souvenir sword. There is a bunch of information about these types of swords which has come to light as of late. Now that serious collectors have more information about these, they just don't command the price they used to.

PG-

Comment

They are nice looking swords, and just as much a weapon as the regulation WWII gunto, but like Paul said, they were manufactured by Toyokawa arsenal after the war for the Army PX.

Facts and documents here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...%20+discussion

Comment

I just bought one of those naval postwar production swords on here last month.......then got an awesome army gunto from Bruce as well. Even after all the new information....documentation and discussions, etc that I found when searching thru all the information I could find online.....I stand by what I originally said..”collect what you like”! And those post war IJN swords ....killer unissued blades. Still glad I picked one up. Question ....seems like most of them have no sarute. Lack of afterwar parts? Keeping the price low to sell 8000 at PX?

Comment

No one knows at this point. We just recently discovered the letter about the PX ordering them and that Toyokawa was being allowed to continue operating after the war. I agree with your observation that they all seem to come without a sarute. Just speculating, but the item seems to be intentionally "not according to military specs" (mixed army and navy parts). I imagine, like in the US, civilian commercial products were not permitted to match exact military specs. For example, Hollywood movies about the military are required to have something wrong with the actors' uniforms or appearance. So, I would guess the missing sarute was simply something along that line.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                              ... For example, Hollywood movies about the military are required to have something wrong with the actors' uniforms or appearance.

Sorry Bruce, this is an old myth that is often repeated ... but

incorrect.

-- Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X