Clear All

Japanese katana sword identification

Hello,
    can someone help me identifying this katana ? Thank you and regards Roman
    Attached Files

one foto
    Attached Files

Comment

"KOA ISSHIN MANTETSU SAKU KORE" (LITERALLY " HEART AND SOUL FOR THE FAR EAST" MADE WITH MANCHURIAN STEEL !

"SHOWA (2 ZODIAC SYMBOLS) HARU" ( DATE: SPRING 1941 )

GOOGLE http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/koa.htm
      AND IT GIVES A GOOD DESCRIPTION OF THE MANCHURIAN BLADES

THESE ARE DESIRABLE COLLECTOR SWORDS BUT NOT TRADITIONALLY MADE SAMURAI BLADES. THE LEATHER TASSEL IS NORMALLY FOUND ON NCO SWORDS.

Comment

Nice piece and as stated , though not a traditional blade ... these are highly collectible - Dan

Comment

thanks, is very interesting how this katana found here, can someone check the value ?

Comment

Originally posted by edgey View Post
            "SHOWA (2 ZODIAC SYMBOLS) HARU" ( DATE: SPRING 1941 )

辛巳
            Kanoto-mi

Comment

Interesting to see it have a NCO tassel instead of an officer one. NCO tassels are rare and desirable. Nice catch.

Comment

Roman,
                I have been running a study on Mantetsu blades and would REALLY appreciate a photo of the full serial number on the top edge of the nakago (tang), if I may!!!

There is another good discussion about them on Ohmura's website: http://ohmura-study.net/998.html

I agree with Staldion about the NCO tassel. The gunto is an officer sword, yet the tassel is an NCO tassel. If you want to keep them together, there are some examples of NCO's going through officer candidate school with a mixed sword/tassel arrangment. I honestly cannot remember if it was NCO tassel on officer sword, or the other way around.

If you desire to replace the tassel with an officer one, those NCO tassels sell for approx $375 USD, company grade tassels - $150; field-grade tassels - $400-500; general grade - thousand or more.

And did I ask for a pic of the serial number?!?!?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X