Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailors label.

Hello guys

I wanted to know what this tailors label says?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Britian_Jacky View Post
    Hello guys

I wanted to know what this tailors label says?

Thanks.
    A tailor shop in Yokosuka. It reads from right to leff:
    横須賀
    久冨洋服店

Yokosuka
    Hisatomi Yōfuku-Ten
    Hisatomi Tailor Shop

Yōfuku means "Western Wear" .... not cowboy "Western," but western-style as opposed to 和服 Wafuku [Japanese clothes; i.e., Kimono, Hakama, etc.].
    Last edited by GHP; 02-17-2020, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Ok thank you very much GHP!

Why would there be such a label in a navy uniform? Possible theatre costume?

Comment

Ok thank you very much GHP!

Why would there be such a label in a navy uniform? Possible theatre costume?
        Bespoke uniform. Officers had to purchase their own uniforms.

Comment

I understand that, but I thought Japanese officers bought their stuff from the more Japanese orientated tailors rather than the Japanese “western” tailors, especially during ww2.

Comment

I understand that, but I thought Japanese officers bought their stuff from the more Japanese orientated tailors rather than the Japanese “western” tailors, especially during ww2.
            Tailors were quite adaptable. (^_*)
            Here's another label from Dan Griffin's site. [I'm pinching his image, below.]
            Kumazawa
            熊澤洋服店
            東京

Kumazawa Yōfuku-Ten
            Tōkyō

-- Guy
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much. The last question that remains is where is the black sleeve ranks on my uniform has it doesn’t have any.

Comment

Thank you so much. The last question that remains is where is the black sleeve ranks on my uniform has it doesn’t have any.
                Perhaps if you post an image of the coat, the experts could tell you. I'm no good at that stuff ... I mostly dabble in translations.

Cheers,
                -- Guy

Comment

Yes that is probably the best thing to do. I’ll post some pictures this Friday. Thank you GHP for the translations

Comment

Could of had ranks removed or the tunic was never completed, delivered etc

Comment

Whilst that theory sounds good, why does the tag look like it has seen a lot of wear?

Comment

There were post war shortages & many uniforms were worn as clothing was scarce. It's all speculation & supposition. You'll never get a definitive answer as to why your tunic is sans insignia

Comment

I have several IJA/IJN items which have had insignia removed post war. This isn't exclusive to the Japanese. Post war Germany is a prime example. Shortages in every category, including clothing.

Comment

Ah ok, thank you guys, I’ll put up some photos tomorrow.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X