Opinions of this sword - Japanese ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions of this sword - Japanese ?

I would like your thoughts on this sword I received as part of a larger edged weapon collection. Not sure exactly what it is but it is the same length as other Japanese katana swords I have. The tsuba has some crude designs on both sides, the tang is unmarked except for something that has been marked on one side. Sorry for the mediocre quality of the pictures.
    Attached Files

One of the guys more familiar with nihonto may correct me on this, but I think it's a blade made during WWII, but for the civilian market, that was later refitted for the war. Saya and tsuka look like they were made for an all leather-covered style, but the leather is gone.

The painted numbers are typical of assembly numbers painted by assembly teams and/or fitters. There is a faint hamon. I don't know if it's oil-quenched or not. Better pictures of a section of the blade would help; but first guess is oil quenched showato.

Let's see what the other guys say.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
      One of the guys more familiar with nihonto may correct me on this, but I think it's a blade made during WWII, but for the civilian market, that was later refitted for the war. Saya and tsuka look like they were made for an all leather-covered style, but the leather is gone.

The painted numbers are typical of assembly numbers painted by assembly teams and/or fitters. There is a faint hamon. I don't know if it's oil-quenched or not. Better pictures of a section of the blade would help; but first guess is oil quenched showato.

Let's see what the other guys say.

I agree with Bruce that is Japanese. Not sure if it was originally made for the civilian market, though ... the officer could have had the tsuba replaced.

-- Guy

Comment

Here are some additional pictures taken indoors in sunlight. The number 140 (?) is clearly green paint. The tsuba looks much nicer. There is a faint hamon that I just can't photograph well enough. Hope this sheds some more light on the quality of this blade.
        Attached Files

Comment

The number is, I think, 一九〇 (190).

— Guy

Comment

Thanks for the better pics. Agree with Guy - 190.

We'll just have to hope some of the nihonto guys chime in on the blade. It's just something I don't study and can't really help you with.

Comment

I think someone has made a crude koshirae out of a shira saya.Difficult to
              tell from the photos,but it looks like a not very well forged civilian showa-to.

Comment

I agree
                Oil quenched showato in home made adapted shira saya
                Can you post photos of any hamon showing ?

Comment

This about the best photo I can get of the hamon. It is there, but faint.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X