Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military career of Hiroshi Oshima

Hi,

In the light of a new thread I just started in another forum (please see link for more info and photos), I was hoping someone could tell me more about the military career of the Japanese ambassador Hiroshi Oshima. It seems his career started from 1930 onward but my search on the internet was not very successful (most links are focussing on the relationship with Germany and Hitler). Judging by the rather large ribbon bar and the breast star, he probably achieved some success and must have a military career....

Cheers,
    Laurens

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...d.php?t=100719

Last edited by Laurens Q-fin; 05-08-2005, 02:21 PM. Reason: inserting extra link

Oshima information.....such as it is

Hi,
    I've plowed through my reference collection and only found the slimmest of biographical info on Oshima's pre-diplomatic career. Here is what I've found - mainly from Shokan by Richard Fuller:

Hiroshi Oshima
    Born 1886
    Graduated from Military Academy 1906
    Graduated from War College, 1915
    Promoted to Major General and sent to Berlin as military attache in March 1936........

Post War
    Captured in southern Germany, May 1945
    Tried for war crimes, 26 April 1946-11 November 1948
    Sentenced to life imprisonment as war criminal by Tokyo Tribunal on 12 November 1948.
    Released in 1955

I still need to have a look through a biography of pre-war Foreign Minister Hirota Koki for mention of Oshima as there is alot of good "insiders" info on Japanese diplomats and the diplomatic corps (though largely exculpatory of Koki as you'd expect). Unfortunately I read it years ago and the translation has no index! Will be a slow go. Hope this little bit helps though.

Thanks,
    Gunnar

Comment

Gunnar,

Thank you very much for the follow-up! It seems indeed that not much is available from the period 1930-1936, at least nothing I could find right away. Please keep me updated in case you find something. In the meantime, I will try to find out more about the 1945-period and his capture...

Cheers,
      Laurens

Comment

Oshima information

Hi
        Here is the a slightly revised dossier on General Oshima.

Hiroshi Oshima
        Born 1886
        Graduated from Military Academy 1906
        Graduated from War College, 1915
        Appointed as military attache to Austria and Hungary - resident in Vienna, 1923-24
        Commands regiment in Manchuria 1930-31
        Works in Army General Staff 1931-36
        Promoted to Major General and sent to Berlin as military attache in March 1936........

Post War
        Captured in southern Germany, May 1945
        Tried for war crimes, 26 April 1946-11 November 1948
        Sentenced to life imprisonment as war criminal by Tokyo Tribunal on 12 November 1948.
        Released in 1955
        Died 1975, age 89

Thanks,
        Gunnar

Comment

Ōshima en Berlín.

Hello to all ; a complement...........................

Ōshima at Berlín.

http://www.intelligencemuseum.org/as...df?LMCL=QFsMl7

Cheers. Raúl M .
          Last edited by tigre; 03-15-2020, 03:08 PM. Reason: solve error.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X