Aircew Europe Star Good & Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ace

Here's a picture without the ribbon, You had me worried but the light plays tricks. It's all one piece. It has a few nicks on it that may have come from wearing it. The ribbon passes the lite test. I assume it came from a group and new ,old, ribbon was attached. I saw one ACE for sale at the show going for $300.00. There was another in a group with the DFC that was said to go for over $10,000.00. It will be auctioned off by Jeffrey Hoare Auctions. I can't remember who the group belonged to.

Comment

ACE Star

Hi Ed. Glad it my was eyes that deceived me on the other scan. This is a really nice looking Star, and as it has all the characteristics that I would be looking for, you got a bona fide one! Congratulations! A few minor nicks and scrapes just add to the character, and just about all of the real ones that aren't in museums have a nick or two in them. They aren't cheap, but the good thing is that they continue to go up in value! These are an investment; much moreso than any of the other Commonwealth Stars. The other Star to watch is the Burma Star. It is actually awarded the fewest times to Canadians (around 5,500 issued), while the ACE was issued to approximately 12,800 Canadians. I don't know the world-wide stats on the WW2 Stars, but I would still guess the Burma Star to be a comparatively low number. I can't figure out why the Burma Stars still only fetch about CAN$50. Oh well, that's the collecting business, eh!
      Best wishes,
      Dan

Comment

Ace

Originally posted by resaw
        Hi Ed. Glad it my was eyes that deceived me on the other scan. This is a really nice looking Star, and as it has all the characteristics that I would be looking for, you got a bona fide one! Congratulations! A few minor nicks and scrapes just add to the character, and just about all of the real ones that aren't in museums have a nick or two in them. They aren't cheap, but the good thing is that they continue to go up in value! These are an investment; much moreso than any of the other Commonwealth Stars. The other Star to watch is the Burma Star. It is actually awarded the fewest times to Canadians (around 5,500 issued), while the ACE was issued to approximately 12,800 Canadians. I don't know the world-wide stats on the WW2 Stars, but I would still guess the Burma Star to be a comparatively low number. I can't figure out why the Burma Stars still only fetch about CAN$50. Oh well, that's the collecting business, eh!
        Best wishes,
        Dan
        I will sleep tonight...THANKS. I have all my Stars now. Need a few original bars and DIEPPE & HONG KONG. I appreciate your help. It get worrysome when your not sure of a medal and makes you made to have doubt in your mind. I have another thats bothering me. Look up Dud 1957 RKb on IRON CROSS SECTION

Thanks Winger.

Comment

Hi Ed. I had a look at your pics of the 57 RK, and I don't think it's a bad one. It doesn't look a whole lot different than the one in my collection (except that yours has more wear). The 57s were generally not nearly the quality of the wartime ones. They haven't really been faked much yet either because the real ones aren't nearly as scarce as the wartime ones, but unfortunately, several 57s were disassembled, reground and a swastica affixed, then passed off as wartime ones to unsuspecting new collectors. I'm not an expert on the wartime German stuff, but I have a few old items in my collection that I got in the 1960s and 1970s. I have a seet of Oakleaves and a set with swords, but I have been suspicious of them as wartime and have been calling them 57s. The quality of them is great and they have all the correct specs, but I thought they were too inexpensive to be wartime when I bought them.
          Dan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X