Picklehaube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picklehaube

Just picked this up.Looks like it saysIR32 or IH32 1899.Any info would be helpful to me.
    Thanks
    Dan46
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Dan,

I can make out "I.R. 32" from the blurry photo turned side ways.

Are there any other markings on the other side of the visor?

If there is not a marking such as "R.I.R. (followed by a number)" on the underside of the back visor anywhere to see, I have to wonder why the large oversize Reservist Cross is on the lower center of the front plate. We'd normally expect to see the eagle without any reserve cross on the lower part of the eagle if there isn't a reservist designation stamped under the back visor.

If there is some sort of stamped Reservist Unit designation on the underside of the back visor, then we would normally hope to see an eagle without the "Mit Got Fur Koenig und Vaterland" on the ribbon banner across the wings and chest of the eagle. We'd also hope to see a reservist cross about half the size of the one that is currently on your front plate.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alan

Comment

Thank you for the info.Here is a shot at the other side.Looks like 39 1899 and DCB or H?After I took off the front u can see that the cross is just held by two prongs.Should I just take it off?Was $600 too much for this?
        Dan46
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dan,

Sorry for my late reply. Thanks for the additional photo.

Yes, it looks like a large "39" above "1899", followed by "9 C" for 9th Company, and then a "I ?" (I can't make out the 2nd black ink mark) or an "I I" which would probably be for the condition of the helmet at issue time.

If I want to read the markings on one of my own helmets, I take an old terry cloth rag or some type of clean cotton rag and get it damp, ring the water out, and gently wipe once across the markings. That will usually make the marking "pop" out and be readable much more easily.

Yes, if there are no "R I R 39" or "R I R 33" markings on the underside of this back visor, I would gently remove the large reservist cross from the eagle, if the back side of the cross attachment prongs are not soldered on to the eagle.

I don't think you overpaid for the helmet at what you say here.

Best Regards,

Alan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X