BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prussian medical officer's buckle surprise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prussian medical officer's buckle surprise...

Hello buckle enthusiasts. Imagine my surprise when I found this in a big jar of mostly women's bakelite and celluloid buckles at an estate I've been cleaning out recently. There was a Great War vet in the family, and I can only imagine this must've come home with him. It's in nice shape, and is missing the "keeper" part, as I'd imagine that must've stayed with the belt. Still, not an Imperial buckle I've run across before. Would it be safe to assume that one in this configuration would've been worn by officers in the field or is this in a "dress" type of configuration? It is solid brass, with a separately applied "Wilhelm II / Crown" motif in the center, secured via two pins through the center of the wreath. A couple of quick snaps below...
    Attached Files

I have never seen one of these before. The Thomas Reid buckle book has a drawing of one but the serpent head is at the top of the buckle. A great pickup.

Comment

Thanks for commenting. Yes, same here, both serpent's heads are at the top of the buckle / wreath facing each other. The first photo probably doesn't show it clearly enough, so here's a (hopefully), better one...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Milton; 04-23-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks. A much better angle. You might want to post this on the imperial uniform thread. I think there is a sticky thread on imperial medics this might go well with.

Comment

Thanks. Good advice!

Comment

Milton,

I've seen these brass officer's buckles mounted on both brocade and leather belts, so I think the answer is it could be worn for dress and in the field. Later, subdued versions for the field belt were produced.

Chip

Comment

Thanks for commenting Chip. It was a nice surprise, especially considering how I found it. It's not one I've had or handled before.

Comment

A very nice buckle, and very hard to find as well.

Someone just had one for sale last week on the e-stand that had the officer bullion belt with it, both in spectacular condition. Not sure if it sold or not.

Thanks for sharing photos of it!

All the Best,

Alan

Comment

Thank you Alan. I did a quick search for the e-stand example but it must have been taken down. Thx for commenting!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X