Officer or NCO/OR cockade on M15 cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer or NCO/OR cockade on M15 cap

Hi Guys, I just "won" this nice M15 visor cap on eBay so I haven't had a chance to inspect in hand or take better photos yet...

Anyhow; what do you think of the cockade (Würtemberg, reserve unit)? It looks like a two-piece design close to the typical officer-style cockade but has a larger cross and slimmer red ring. NCO/OR cockades, on the other hand, are usually made of one piece...

The vacant national cockade seems to have been of the NCO/OR type, since it was attached through one hole by means of a centre split pin...

Wurtcockade.jpg

wurtcockade2.jpg

I appreciate any viewpoints, THX in advance!

I guess this thread should be moved to "Imperial headwear, etc"... Sorry!

Comment

The cockade is fine. There are multiple versions of these. There were "official" patterns and private purchase types.

Is there a maker's label in the cap that might give you a clue?

If the national cockade was a centered split brad, it was most likely the enlisted man's version, in which case the officer's cockade on the band won't do.

Chip

Comment

Thanks for the input. I haven't received the cap yet. Hopefully I will be able to tell whether the cockade is original to the cap or not, and also whether the cap is issue or private purchase (or "E"). If there's a centre hole behind the Landeskokarde, it is obviously not original to the cap, although the owner could have upgraded to a private-purchase ("close-to-officer style") cockade cockade during the war.

I suspect that the combination of the present state cockade and a standard OR national cockade might look a bit odd...

Comment

I like the cockade. I would like to see the cap when you have it in hand.

Comment

THX! I'll see what I can do with my semi-lousy camera... :-)

Comment

Pix:

OK, got the cap. I put on a standard imperial NCO/OR cockade, which fits perfectly, and gave the cap a gentle brush. The condition is good; a few moth bits here and there, but nothing too disturbing. Has seen wear but sports no damages or mendings... The inside of the cap features some kind of elaborate print, but it's now illegible, i.e. private purchase. I paid EUR 224:- which I consider a fair price; M15:s are not that common according to my experience. One can still find nice thing on eBay...

A few Quick pix:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Comment

inside...

[ATTACH]2678155[/ATTACH]

Comment

You did quite well, I believe. Like you said , not many M15 peaked caps around.
                  Congratulations.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

That's a very nice cap congrats.

Eric

Comment

I like this cap. Looks really nice

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X