Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original WW1 Prussian Telegraph Buckle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original WW1 Prussian Telegraph Buckle??

Not my area, opinions from the experts appreciated please.
    Attached Files

A month ago in France I bought a fantastic Fieldgrey one.... the quality was fantastic, the aging perfect.... and 2-3 buckle collectors at the show recognised it as the latest copy right away.

I was blown away.... everything was perfect and I would not for a second have thought it bad... but it was...

I am not sure about this one, but can just warn, the copies of these are more than incredible.

Best
    Chris

Comment

This one has several attributes seen in reproductions. First, the backing plates on the reverse are not what you would normally see. Second, the paint color is off and thirdly, the surface has small pockmarks, which might indicate that the body is cast.

Chip

Comment

Thanks for that, off it go's back for a refund.

Comment

"First, the backing plates on the reverse are not what you would normally see. Second, the paint color is off and thirdly, the surface has small pockmarks, which might indicate that the body is cast.
          "

All is right !

(except the buckle).

Comment

Hi nzef1940
            I seen this on trademe for sale and after I seen you had bought it,I was wondering when it would come up on the WAF.
            I was always told that the telegrapher buckles with the plates on the back were repros,also the pockmarks that have been mentioned are a good indication,I don't remember seeing them on trademe when it was for sale,bummer because it was at a good price.
            Regards
            Spike

Comment

Original buckles were also meant to be sturdy,and to hold up to hard use...originals are unlikely to ever bend and crinkle at the middle bottom from any normal use like this one attests to(red flag to me ). I suspect they are a different grade and guage of steel... heat treated then drawn to prevent failure. This ones hook was also not properly attached , evident by the attempt to hide the fact with paint, but clear to see in the light that it has been repaired by someone , and once a hook is attached properly, it will never fail for its intended use to a specific weight strength . (metallurgy specs likely still exist for this type buckle, and was tested prior to acceptance for it's purpose before its mass production)

Comment

Hello juoneen,

This ripple effect is seen on real issue steel telegraph buckles.

Chip

Comment

Here's an original for comparison...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Roy
                    Gents
                    Do some originals have that belt prong, shown in the original post. Or would it be a 'quickie' for detecting a copy?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                      Thanks Roy
                      Gents
                      Do some originals have that belt prong, shown in the original post. Or would it be a 'quickie' for detecting a copy?

Eric
                      Guess nobody knows or has an opinion.

Comment

Maybe so, but not stressed by a roll of wire from its intended use........it would be interesting to see some of these buckles with the ripple effect, as you call it,just for future reference. Anybody got any they can post? I so far have not seen any,but then again i am not really an imperial buckle collector, although i do have some imperial buckles. I've seen some dented ones...but then again, you find hundreds of regular imperials , to every one of these , that's why they are so mass reproduced , and desirable. I am curious if any originals were ever maker marked, as i woud assume they had some that were?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X