Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial German Miter

Hello Gents:

Would anyone know if there is a way to know if the miter in my collection was worn by the First Battalion or the Second Battalion of the Prussian Garde Regiment of Foot? This miter has the "SEMPER TALIS" inscription on the frontplate so I know it was worn by a member of the First or Second Battalion, but is there a way to know which Battalion used this particular miter?

I should add I have the oilcloth raincover for this miter and it has a unit stamp which I will add to the photographs. Perhaps someone will see a clue that would answer this question for me. I've had this miter in my collection for many years and I always wondered about this.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Files

More Photographs

More Photographs
    Attached Files

Comment

Photograph of Unit Stamp on Miter's Rain Cover

One More Photograph
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Clayton

second battalion, companies 5-8, first battalion companies 1-4..Yours is marked to the sixth company. Love the oilcloth cover.

Larry

Comment

Hello Larry:

Thank you very much for this information. I've owned this miter for well over 30 years and I wish I had a dollar for every time I wondered about this. Over the years, I have looked in many spike helmet reference books but could never find this information. Now that I am breaking up my collection, you have kindly told me what I have wanted to know. I wish we had a forum like this 30 years ago.

Many thanks for your kind reply.

Clay

Comment

Do you want to sell it?
            PM me if Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Clayton View Post
              Hello Larry:

Thank you very much for this information. I've owned this miter for well over 30 years and I wish I had a dollar for every time I wondered about this. Over the years, I have looked in many spike helmet reference books but could never find this information. Now that I am breaking up my collection, you have kindly told me what I have wanted to know. I wish we had a forum like this 30 years ago.

Many thanks for your kind reply.

Clay
              Very nice Miter cap. I can just imagine how rare the oilcloth rain cover is, let alone the cap itself.

Why all the curiosity over which Battalion it belonged to?

Comment

Is there any evidence in the lining of where a cloth name tag was sewn in? All the ones I've seen have had these...

Comment

Photograph of Leather Liner

Hello Arran:

The cloth name tag is missing from the leather liner but you can see where it originally was. Some of the original threads that held the name tag in place are still present. I have attached a photograph showing where the tag was.

The liner is unmarked except for another 6th Company ink stamp exactly as it appears on the rain cover.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for sharing these wonderful and scarce items.

Comment

Very nice pieces. Technically, the cover does not go with that miter. The miter shown was introduced after 1892 (1894 if memory serves). The cover was made for the earlier pattern miter that was turned over to the Kaiser Alexander Regiment when the 1st Foot Guards received their new ones in 1894. I'll bet it's a loose fit on this miter.
                      Also, the liner being marked to the 6th company would certainly indicate issue to the 2nd Battalion.
                      Steve

Comment

Detail Photograph of Raincover

Hello Ottodog8:

Many thanks for this historic information. Detailed information from advanced collectors is what makes this forum so successful. Yes, I always knew this miter was the Model 1894 and the raincover is a bit earlier being dated 1892. However the raincloth cover fits very well on the miter, perhaps because they have literally been together all these years. Both the miter and the raincover are marked to the 6th Company.

It does look like the raincover was made as a "one size fits all" accoutrement as two loops are mounted on each side of the raincover (four loops total) at the base. These loops accommodate hooks which can be used to adjust the size of the raincover at the base; thereby giving any miter the raincover is used with a nice snug fit.

I have am including a photograph of those loops.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello MauserKar98k:

For me its important to know as much about the objects in my collection as I can. In the old days information was not so easy to obtain. Early reference books were limited and of course there were no forums in the preinternet days.

Comment

Originally posted by Clayton View Post
                            Hello MauserKar98k:

For me its important to know as much about the objects in my collection as I can. In the old days information was not so easy to obtain. Early reference books were limited and of course there were no forums in the preinternet days.
                            I like to find out as much about my stuff as I can as well. We young whippersnappers have it very easy these days when it comes to research, thanks to the web.

Again, great Miter and cover.

Comment

Hi Clayton,

Your miter is a real beauty, in great condition, and one that any collector would "covet" to have in their collection!

I've been collecting for 30+ years, and don't have one in my collection yet. Unfortunately they haven't been my primary focus, but this one of yours is a great example from this elite regiment. I love regimental marked headgear, and this is a fantastic piece!

The covers are exceptionally hard to find, even if this cover did not originally come with this miter. Congratulations on what must be a very fine collection.

Yes, I agree that us "old timers" would have had it easier in our younger days if we would have had these forums, and all the reference material available nowadays. It's fun to remember those last couple years of my high school days, so long ago, when I went to antique shows & gun shows, and finally stumbled on to my first "all-military" show my senior year of high school.

All the Best,

Alan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X