Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wurttemburg cavalry sword knot

Gentlemen,
    I have been searching for a enlisted ranks sword knot for my M89 cavalry sword, for Ulan Regt. nr.18. The only one I have located, on a dealer's website, is priced at $125, which seems awfully high to me. Is this the going price?
    Any suggestions for other sources? Thanks.

Bob Shoaf

$125 is not a bad price for an enlisted Württemberg Cavalry sword Faustriemen. A knot for Kapitulanten or NCO would certainly bring more than that. Make certain it is an original though as these have been reproduced.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
      $125 is not a bad price for an enlisted Württemberg Cavalry sword Faustriemen. A knot for Kapitulanten or NCO would certainly bring more than that. Make certain it is an original though as these have been reproduced.
      Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the dealer provides no photos. He is well known for edged weapons, and has written/ co-authored a number of books, for what it's worth.
      I only paid $325 for the sword!

Comment

Originally Posted by SCHUPO
        Hi Bob,

I agree that $125 is reasonable for a rare accessory such as this knot. They just aren't found on the loose anymore, especially for anything not Prussian. Consider that you did well on the price of the sword, and I hope that helps ease the price of the knot a bit for you.

I sometimes see bayonet knots hovering in the $75-100 price range for pristine examples, so a Faustriemen for a Wurttemburg sword @ $125 seems very reasonable in comparison.

When one considers the high percentage of swords w/out any knots that are found nowdays, you'll be one of the few collectors who has one as it would have been worn (with the knot).

I hope the knot is real, and that you are able to aquire it for your sword.

All the Best,

Alan Schaefer

Comment

The dealer's description: " Wurttemburg Cavalry/ Artillery Sword Knot. Knots feature leather strap & slide with red/black stem/ crown and acorn. Light age only. Red leather strap, maroon leather slide, red/ black stem/crown/acorn & acorn insert."
          Again, no photos. Sound good? Thanks for your help.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
            The dealer's description: " Wurttemburg Cavalry/ Artillery Sword Knot. Knots feature leather strap & slide with red/black stem/ crown and acorn. Light age only. Red leather strap, maroon leather slide, red/ black stem/crown/acorn & acorn insert."
            Again, no photos. Sound good? Thanks for your help.

Bob Shoaf

Actually, that seems to describe the Re-enlisted (Kapitulanten) knot rather than the standard enlisted knot. Ask if the acorn (Quaste) is open or closed. Imperial knots should normally have an open Quaste with loose tassels while later Weimar Republic period knots have a closed Quaste. Get a picture before you send off your money but it sounds like a very reasonable price.

Comment

The description sounds like that of a Württemberg NCO knot. Private purchase for sure. I would also insist on a photo. Enlisted Faustriemen do not normally have any indication of the state, so any enlisted Faustriemen would do. Issue examples are rare as hens teeth, with private purchase pieces being more common. NCOs would, of course, bring a premium.

The price is OK for a private purchase NCO knot.

Is your sword and issue piece or one of those with the unit engraved on the blade?

Lastly, you might want to consider that the 18th Ulans were a Saxon unit.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
                The description sounds like that of a Württemberg NCO knot. Private purchase for sure. I would also insist on a photo. Enlisted Faustriemen do not normally have any indication of the state, so any enlisted Faustriemen would do. Issue examples are rare as hens teeth, with private purchase pieces being more common. NCOs would, of course, bring a premium.

The price is OK for a private purchase NCO knot.

Is your sword and issue piece or one of those with the unit engraved on the blade?

Lastly, you might want to consider that the 18th Ulans were a Saxon unit.

Chip
                Senility creeps in! It's the 19th Ulans, and the sword is the engraved type, with the regimental title on one side, and the charging ulans, etc., on the other.
                Wurttemburg arms on the guard, of course. Thanks for the advice.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
                  Actually, that seems to describe the Re-enlisted (Kapitulanten) knot rather than the standard enlisted knot. Ask if the acorn (Quaste) is open or closed. Imperial knots should normally have an open Quaste with loose tassels while later Weimar Republic period knots have a closed Quaste. Get a picture before you send off your money but it sounds like a very reasonable price.
                  Thanks very much.

Comment

Hello Robert
                    If your into the 19th you might want to check this out. Nice but expensive!

http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewpho...h=53336&phqu=6

Regards
                    Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 704hoss55 View Post
                      Hello Robert
                      If your into the 19th you might want to check this out. Nice but expensive!

http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewpho...h=53336&phqu=6

Regards
                      Eric
                      Thanks, but the price seems absurdly high. Then again, it's Regimentals, NO bargains to be had there!

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X