who's helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who's helmet?

Is this an Austrian helmet? the odd colored liner has me vexed.

You have an original WWI German M16 helmet, with M17 liner system. Please post a close-up picture of the rear liner pin from the inside.... It doesn't look like an original.

Chuck

Comment

Only one pin is original. Both this, a sandcast doughboy and the Kriegsmarine M35 were found in a shed This one had one pin so they placed some pins from i'm thinking a duo tang folder or something. overall still nice but I have never had that light colored liner prior. Did any of these have 1917 liners or is this a replacement?

Comment

Those pink tyes are normally associated with late war M18,s. That and looking at the pillow sack I would say late war replacements, or just a late M17. No matter, nice helmet.

Eric

Comment

Very nice German M16 with a M17 liner. You see the white leather liners a lot in M17s. I'm not sure why they did this, it was going to be soiled immediately by life in the trenches.

What is the maker and the size?

Comment

not sure I think the mark says B.62 does that make any sense? there may be another letter in front of the B like an L? or I

Comment

Originally posted by streicher12 View Post
              not sure I think the mark says B.62 does that make any sense? there may be another letter in front of the B like an L? or I
              Is there a F after the B? It's a 62 alright it's even stenciled.

W.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that one (exept the pins...), it's a nice M17...

Adler 1

Comment

Originally posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post
                  It's a 62 alright it's even stenciled.
                  Wow, how did I miss that!? If it's a 62 and has a "B" in the maker, it is almost certain that it is a "B.F." made by F.C. Bellinger; Fulda, Hessen-Nassau.

Comment

Originally posted by MauserKar98k View Post
                    Very nice German M16 with a M17 liner. You see the white leather liners a lot in M17s. I'm not sure why they did this, it was going to be soiled immediately by life in the trenches.
                    Germany apparently had huge shipments of this chrome tanned sheepskin delivered from Bulgaria in 1917/18, which must have helped to ease the severe leather shortage. This non-porous leather was also used for their GM17 Ledershutzmaske.
                    Hans

Comment

Interesting, nice lid also.

Originally posted by Hans K. View Post
                      Germany apparently had huge shipments of this chrome tanned sheepskin delivered from Bulgaria in 1917/18, which must have helped to ease the severe leather shortage. This non-porous leather was also used for their GM17 Ledershutzmaske.
                      Hans

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X