HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some interesting Central powers helmets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some interesting Central powers helmets.

Check out the non textbook helmet with the plate riveted to the helmet and painted over in Camo.

W.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...Powers-Helmets

Unusual puppy
    Never seen that before, funky liner?
    Also another 'Garde Lid' with the 1dot on the back. I dont dig those. but thats another story.

Eric

Comment

One thing is for sure, there are some questionable helmets used for reference photos.

Comment

Check out the non textbook helmet with the plate riveted to the helmet and painted over in Camo.
        About 10 years ago there were several of those for sale on the Belgian shows. I had a few of them in my hands, but did not trust those strange birds. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it felt that something was wrong with these helmets.
        The seller stated that these were experimental helmets and the purpose was to replace the stirnpanzer.
        In that case I would suppose the reënforcement plate to have at least 3 mm of thickness...
        Maybe I let something really special go, but at least I still had my money...
        Looking at the pictures, I still have that same feeling as I had then... there's something wrong with them, but I can't point it out...
        I hope someone can come up with some real proof of originality... or fakeness...

Adler

Comment

Originally posted by Adler 1 View Post
          About 10 years ago there were several of those for sale on the Belgian shows. I had a few of them in my hands, but did not trust those strange birds. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it felt that something was wrong with these helmets.
          The seller stated that these were experimental helmets and the purpose was to replace the stirnpanzer.
          In that case I would suppose the reënforcement plate to have at least 3 mm of thickness...
          Maybe I let something really special go, but at least I still had my money...
          Looking at the pictures, I still have that same feeling as I had then... there's something wrong with them, but I can't point it out...
          I hope someone can come up with some real proof of originality... or fakeness...

Adler
          I agree, but I also must say, we have had that helmet very detailed on the other forum quite some time ago,and I was fan of it. John has a fantastic collection with a lot of rare items.

Comment

Two things are needed on that additional plate. Veteran testimony and period photos. Could be a result of tinkering at the unit level but I doubt that effort came from the top down or it would be better documented.

A plate that thin would not stop much additionally. It would have been better to issue the German helmet in two versions of thickness. The thicker version being used only in static defense.

W.

Comment

The first Austrian helmet pictured with the slotted brow plate. I,ve never seen that either?
              Who made those?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 704hoss55 View Post
                The first Austrian helmet pictured with the slotted brow plate. I,ve never seen that either?
                Who made those?

Eric
                I thought that was the Austrian version of the brow plate? I've seen one or two on ebay like that one in the photos.

W.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post
                  I thought that was the Austrian version of the brow plate? I've seen one or two on ebay like that one in the photos.

W.
                  Well
                  The Austrian Iam used to looks pretty much like the German one just has a different profile.
                  I asked a couple of dealers, they dont know either. One said the strap is repop. I was thinking maybe Hungarian or one of those funky countries.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X