• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvelous MG stuff gentlemen!

Adler 1

Comment

Stunning MGSs helmet David .

Thank you for showing more of your SUPERB collection.

Regards
      Eric

Comment

great displays

Comment

I have to admit that I am a bit curious about the MgSSA insignia on the helmet. Has there been some information found, or dated photos that prove that this is not a postwar helmet insignia? I have yet to make my mind up about dating of this, so I would be interested in hearing about anything conclusive that removes this debate from the realm of conjecture.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
            I have to admit that I am a bit curious about the MgSSA insignia on the helmet. Has there been some information found, or dated photos that prove that this is not a postwar helmet insignia? I have yet to make my mind up about dating of this, so I would be interested in hearing about anything conclusive that removes this debate from the realm of conjecture.

Chip
            My Quest Chip
            Still looking. It turns into a heated debate among many collectors as you well know.
            I,ve looked through a LOT of MGSs period photos. Trouble is there nearly allways group shots behind the lines and wearing soft caps!! The few times they have their lids on the photos are taken from the front or right side, because they want to include the belt feeder. Of course I agree not all MGSs gunners had insigina but it did happen IMO. I remind everyone of the info I got and posted on the MG helmet thread.
            I know it sounds crazy for the gunners to do this when it was a BAD idea to be taken prisoner wearing one.
            David,s insignia matches perfect with the few originals I,ve seen anyway, but I,ll keep looking and searching to be 100% one way or the other. I had a picture and its been driving me nuts remembering where it was. Now Iam thinking it could of been in a bayonet ref. book I no longer have. Maybe David has something? He has everything else!

Regards
            Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 704hoss55 View Post
              My Quest Chip
              Still looking. It turns into a heated debate among many collectors as you well know.
              I,ve looked through a LOT of MGSs period photos. Trouble is there nearly allways group shots behind the lines and wearing soft caps!! The few times they have their lids on the photos are taken from the front or right side, because they want to include the belt feeder. Of course I agree not all MGSs gunners had insigina but it did happen IMO. I remind everyone of the info I got and posted on the MG helmet thread.
              I know it sounds crazy for the gunners to do this when it was a BAD idea to be taken prisoner wearing one.
              David,s insignia matches perfect with the few originals I,ve seen anyway, but I,ll keep looking and searching to be 100% one way or the other. I had a picture and its been driving me nuts remembering where it was. Now Iam thinking it could of been in a bayonet ref. book I no longer have. Maybe David has something? He has everything else!

Regards
              Eric

For me, i am still looking for original postcard with a helmet with insigna; but i am convinced that it exist during war. It's not because we don't have any pictures that didn't exist, i have so much thinks i try to find on pictures and i never found them........for exemple pictures with coal-fired water-heather for the MG 08 or MG 08/15, MG's scopes (not the emil busch), MG's gloves.........

Picture of a MG's gaz mask box???? or bavarian troops???? or nothing special????

When i found some pictures with this gaz mask box, it's always MG troops and they are always bavarian......but i can't say more

Some pictures of MG 08 scopes.....i am looking for original postcards with them, if you have some, let me know...

David

Comment

Brilliant David
                I never seen the gas tin before. . I see you have an indirect fire sight. is it true they only made 50?

Eric

Comment

David

these are all truly amazing items

thanks for posting them here

Johan

Comment

Gents
                    I recently acquired these items a pair of M1911 pouches made by JM Eckart dated 1918.Both are Id,d to Muller G 4.MG JR80 and the bayonet date 1915.

Eric
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 704hoss55 View Post
                      I see you have an indirect fire sight. is it true they only made 50?
                      Eric,

I don't believe that production number is true. Indirect fire with machine guns was used as a fairly common tactic. These had to be widely distributed to MG units. I had one of these in the leather carrying case.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
                        Eric,

I don't believe that production number is true. Indirect fire with machine guns was used as a fairly common tactic. These had to be widely distributed to MG units. I had one of these in the leather carrying case.

Chip
                        Thanks Chip
                        I looked in my book by Goldsmith. It just say,s 'a few'??
                        Could mean anything.
                        Looks like David even has the rare Protractor! Incredible.

Eric

Comment

Can you see "the end of the road" in those sights?

W.

Comment

Here is my MG-08, along with a few related items.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another view.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Close up #1
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 22 users online. 0 members and 22 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X