No announcement yet.

Show us your German Hussars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have these two large skulls they are both different sizes. The smaller of the two measures 3.25 inches across and 3.25 inches in height. The large skull measures about 4.5 inches across and 4 inches in height. I believe these are both Prussian Hussars cap skulls, but they have not maker or date on them. Does anyone know anything about these, any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Comment

Larger Skull

Larger Skull
      Attached Files

Comment

The top one is a type that I haven't seen before and the attaching device looks strange plus there were only two when most of these skulls used three or more attaching devices.

The red flag I see with the second one is the patina is wrong to me and it looks to have been artificially aged.

Comment

On Ebay right now:

German Napoleonic enlisted shako of the Brunswick Leib Battalion, as worn at Waterloo in 1815, in very good condition. This piece is an original—but not in the way one might think. It was crafted for German Army Tradition Regiment issue, ca. 1906-1914, as part of the Napoleonic Centennial observances, and bears the usual Teutonic array of depot inkstampings on its crown interior attesting to this fact. As such, it is what the French term a centenaire, and what I’m inclined to call an “original reproduction,” in the absence of anything even more oxymoronic.
          Shako is constructed of polished amber-colored, shellac-impregnated linen pressboard, covered with black enameled linen, and measures 5” in height—unusually short for the Napoleonic era, but typical for German issues. Visor is also constructed of compressed enameled linen, and sweatband is of rubberized cotton with a tan cotton, drawstring-adjusted “head net” stitched atop its upper edge. Size is approximately 6 7/8 (US). Trimmings include brass chinscales in the German style, sans scalloping; a silvered brass Totenkopf Wappen; and the bizarrely unusual Braunschweig-style, pompon-topped black horsehair plumet. The metal parts show patination and age--as does the piece overall. The shako body's stiffening panels are warped in places, and the enameled linen covering shows wear on corners and high spots. It looks as if some strategic areas have been restitched, but the shako is sound, looks amazing original, and could certainly tolerate much additional wear--if anybody chose to do so.

The Brunswick Leib Battalionfought all over Europe after Napoleon’s dissolution of the Duchy, serving under first the Austrians, then the English. Uniformed entirely in black, with their death’s head shako insignia offering a further sinister touch, the contingent served admirably with Wellington in the Peninsula, then again under the Iron Duke at Waterloo. Some stragglers from the battalion fought throughout the day in the epic struggle for Hougoumont.
          A century ago, many of the armies of Europe participated in reenactments of various actions of the Napoleonic Wars, and much of their garb was good, indeed. Some clothing, headgear, and equipment items were manufactured by firms which had provided the same pieces a century earlier. This shako’s German Army inkstamps (see photos) are unlike those used in everyday issues of the era, but I suppose that is to be expected of objects inventoried for Tradition use. One portion of the markings has been stamped over, rendering it near illegible, while another—which looks like it might have been the musketeer’s name and unit, rendered in typical Imperial German clothing label style—was blocked-out with ink. Whatever the meaning of the stampings, this shako combines good—if originally inexpensive—craftsmanship and materials, with a century’s worth of use and age. It looks, as they say, scary real. I don’t know if Waterloo was targeted for a major reenactment during the Centennial, but the point became moot: by 1915 that ground was on the frontlines of another European war.
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

2 more of the above:
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

That's why people have to use care when collecting. They have been "reproducing" these items for well over 100 years to satisfy a demand. Some of the old fakes are being thought of as original.

It's like the front plate at the top of the page, with that attaching device you would have to take a knife and cut a gash in the busby to affix the skull.

Comment

Here is my only piece of Hussar headgear:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by negative1 View Post
                  // It's like the front plate at the top of the page, with that attaching device you would have to take a knife and cut a gash in the busby to affix the skull.//
                  That is correct, Four split brass brads is one of several ways origiinal Leib-Husaren Totenkopf were attached to the seal hide body.

Comment

The top one is a type that I haven't seen before and the attaching device looks strange....
                    Have you ever had a Leibhusaren busby in your hands? Strange that you makes comments about items, which you have never seen before.

Smaller skull pattern on a Leibhusaren busby.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant 08 View Post
                      Have you ever had a Leibhusaren busby in your hands? Strange that you makes comments about items, which you have never seen before.

Smaller skull pattern on a Leibhusaren busby.
                      I have had a few in hand.

Your example is not a match to the example at the top of the page. Notice the knife like point in the cheek bone. The picture that you use as an example does not have that.

I have never come across that type of knife like cheek bone that's why I said that I haven't seen that version before.

If you like it that's all that really matters.

Comment

I have had a few in hand.

Your example is not a match to the example at the top of the page. Notice the knife like point in the cheek bone. The picture that you use as an example does not have that.

I have never come across that type of knife like cheek bone that's why I said that I haven't seen that version before.

If you like it that's all that really matters.
                        I do not agree with you.

But we do not must have the same opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                          Here is my only piece of Hussar headgear:
                          Well, you chose one hell of a fine example; hard to beat this one.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Very nice stuff everybody. I will have to dig out my imperial german hussars tunics and post them
                            Dave
                            http://www.militaryantiquestoronto.com

Comment

Stefan,

You specialize in collecting skulls. Could you give us your opinion in more detail about Brian K.'s skulls?

Thanks,
                              Chip

Comment

Same clan, different vintage:
                                Attached Files
                                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X