Wachstuchmütze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wachstuchmütze

Having just this morning received a copy of "4 Jahre Westfront: Geschichte des Regiments List" which is the regimental history of the 16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment" I attach this interesting photograph of a group of officers in October 1914 wearing the so-called "Wachstuchmütze". It is certainly the first time I have seen commissioned officers wearing this type of headgear more usually worn by non commissioned personnel of Landsturm units and the like. The cap is described in "Die feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1917" by Jürgen Kraus. The officer in the centre of the front row in the greatcoat is Oberst Julius List, the first commander of Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment 16 killed at Ypres on the 31st of October 1914.

Regards
    Glenn
    Attached Files

This is an extraordinary picture!!!! All those officers certainly had their own headgear, so what they are doing with "gubamint issue" third line troops enlisted gear is a mystery to me!!!!

Comment

Major Brugger

Another photo from the same book: Major z.D. Ernst Brugger, the commanding officer of the II. Battalion.

Regards
      Glenn
      Attached Files

Comment

Well,

the BRIR 16 had the "Wachstuchmütze" because there weren't enough spiked helmets available for the reserve units in 1914 (this regiment wasn't the only one which had problems with equipment). The soldiers of the regiment wore normally a "Wachstuchmütze" with feldgrau overcoat with 'RIR 16' or 'R 16'.
        By the way, Oberst Julius List was killed in Gheluvelt on 31st October 1914, buried near the Chateau pond and later transferred to Germany (according to my info, I wrote a book about Gheluvelt)...

Jan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X