WW1 k.u.k. cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 k.u.k. cap?

Hi,please help me because i don't know what kind of cap is this and who used it soldier or civil person.The colour is dark blue i can't find marking or stamp inside the cap .
    Attached Files

You have found a very nice cap! What i will describe is based on the assumption that the buttons and badge are original to the period and have not been added later.

The cap itself is a private purchase dunkelblau (dark blue) cap, they type used by both the pre WWI Austrian Landwehr and the Hungarian Honved. These caps would have been worn well into the duration of the war by troops in rear areas.

The silver buttons are the correct color for the Landwehr or Honved but they would normally be simi-domed for infantry. These more round domed buttons may indicate use by cavalry. There were many Honved cavalry regiments but only two Landwehr regiments.

The badge is a 1915/16 period badge. The FJI would indicate Austrian usage rather than Hungarian. A Honved badge would have IFJ.

The two extra flat buttons are usually associated with regulation issued caps and are rarely seen on private purchase caps. They are most likely a field addition.

So in conclusion, you may possibly have a cap used by either the Dalmatian or Tyrolian Mounted Rifle regiments of the Austrian Landwehr with the badge dating it to 1915/16. This would be a RARE cap, but unfortunately it can't be proven because buttons and badges were so often replaced after the war, even by current collectors.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you very much the answering and the lots of information about my cap The history of this cap I bought it two weeks ago on a Hungarian auction website and the seller a young women told for me her grandmother died and she find this cap and a water flask in the grandmother's old house.Here are the original pictures about the items from the auction website .
      Thanks again
      Béla
      Attached Files

Comment

It is a nice set. Congratulations.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X