Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bavarian Shako, enlisted in silver

Hello,

This just came in the mail on Saturday from a friend who acquired it in the 1990's at a Belgium flea market while he was living overseas.

I'm using the photos he took of the shako.

Shako would have been worn by Bavarian Eisenbahn Batallion, Luftschiffer Batallion and Kraftfahrer Batallion, and 1st & 2nd Telegraph Batallion.

There are two small holes on the lower center back visor. Maybe this helmet was mounted as a souvenir on a wall at one time???

Looks like it is Depot Issue marked inside "B. A. I." and "1918". I can't quite make out the maker mark. Looks like there is a penciled name that has been scribbled over with pencil, and another "191?" date.

The Feldzeichen is a repro.

The front plate has the original loops, and it is held in place by old wire twisted back and forth through the wire loops of the front plate.

It will be an interesting challenge to find a silver fitted chinstrap for this shako, and an original Bavarian feldzeichen.

Best Regards,

Alan
    Attached Files

A really nice Shako you have there Alan! The parts are a nightmare to get but thats what they make replacements for. I would think a nice brass strap would be acceptable for such a rare shako. Lets get together this summer at Bob's.

Jerry

Comment

Very nice Shako. Rob
      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Nice find Alan. Good luck with those parts you're seeking.

Chuck

Comment

Thanks Jerry, Rob, and Chuck for your very nice comments, I appreciate it!

by member jerryrehr:
          Lets get together this summer at Bob's.
          Thanks Jerry, I'd enjoy that, and will look forward to seeing you and Bob again after we get through this virus problem.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Comment

Jerry and Alan,

Sounds good to me, guys. The library and museum is always open.

Bob

Comment

Nice Shako Alan! When did the Bavarians introduce these?
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks Bob! Looking forward to it!

Thanks Willi!

By member Willi Z.:
                When did the Bavarians introduce these?
                This type of shako/tschako was intoduced in 1895 for Bavaria.

The Bavarians started wearing a different looking model of shako on May 7th, 1807, first for the Tiroler Jaeger Battalions. Then they adapted one for the Mobilen Legionen in 1809, and the National-Feld-Battalion in 1813, along with the National-Chevaulegers, and several other branches of service that same year. (Info from "Die Helme der Koniglich Bayerischen Armee 1896-1918" by Walter Seibold & Gerd M. Schulz.)

Best Wishes,

Alan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X