Cap attributed to Kaiser Wilhelm II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap attributed to Kaiser Wilhelm II

Hi Guys, sorry I don't have more pictures but this cap appeared in an auction and I wonder if this looks like Kaiser Wilhelm II's cypher? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Similar types of cypher and initial can be found in various Imperial and even Third Reich era visor caps. From my understanding they indicate that the owner was a member of aristocracy and there were hundreds if not thousands of those serving in the armed forces.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by USCollect View Post
      Hi Guys, sorry I don't have more pictures but this cap appeared in an auction and I wonder if this looks like Kaiser Wilhelm II's cypher? Thanks!
      It purports to be Wilhelm II’s cypher, but I’m not sure it is good. Compare with the Wilhelm II cap shown here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=Sandro&page=8

Ben,
      Different crown on your cap, baronet I believe.
      Kind regards,
      Sandro

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the info. I thought it might be his son’s instead. Thanks!

Comment

Crown Prince William

Not sure if these might be a variant of the cyper on the cap
          Attached Files

Comment

The point I was trying to make is just because a cap has a Crown and a W. on the lining, does that necessarily mean it was the personal cap of Wilhelm II?

If that were true, then he must have had a warehouse full of caps judging by how many have appeared on the market over the years. Here's just a few I found without looking too hard..
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
              The point I was trying to make is just because a cap has a Crown and a W. on the lining, does that necessarily mean it was the personal cap of Wilhelm II?

If that were true, then he must have had a warehouse full of caps judging by how many have appeared on the market over the years. Here's just a few I found without looking too hard..
              Ben,
              He in fact did - pics of only a part of his remaining Huis Doorn garderobe enclosed (copyright: Huis Doorn). And that was just his post war hide out, and definitely not the only place with a wardrobe ....

The thread starter clearly purports to be one of Wilhelm II's caps, I'm just not convinced it is good.
              Kind regards,
              Sandro
              Attached Files

Comment

Sandro is indeed correct. The Kaiser had dozens and dozens of uniforms/visors that corresponded to different units he was Chef of Regt of. I forgot the exact number of train loads that were required to take his possesions from Germany to Haus Doorn, but it was astounding....many of these cars were filled with uniforms.

I am aware of 4 of the Kaisers visors in US collections, all to different units. One is accompanied with it's original case.

Below is cypher for KWII for Marine Infanterie visor.

Gary B
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Gary B; 04-08-2020, 01:43 PM.
                ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
                  The Kaiser had dozens and dozens of uniforms/visors that corresponded to different units he was Chef of Regt of. I forgot the exact number of train loads that were required to take his possesions from Germany to Haus Doorn, but it was astounding....many of these cars were filled with uniforms.
                  And he had a fair number of uniforms made in Dutch exile.
                  Kind regards,
                  Sandro

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X